Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 18, 2005, 11:57 AM   #1

I was considering upgrading from my 10D to the 20D when I saw the announcement of the new 350D yesterday. Looks great and has lots of features that are better than my 10D. I could upgrade w/out much expense.

Is it really an upgrade, though? Are there reasons to stick with the 10D? Not sure that I really want to spend the money for the 20D at this point.

So, if you had to choose btwn sticking w/ the 10D or getting the 350D, what would you do? :?

THanks!
caryniam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2005, 1:22 PM   #2

I wouldn't... the 350D just approaches the 10D level so it's not a big deal upgrading it...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 7:13 PM   #3
TG

I have a 10D and have been considering an upgrade but will wait until 20D upgrade comes along. 350D hasbenifits: 2 more megapixels, 14 frame buffer, faster write speeds, price. They have the same FPS, 10D Magnesium Alloy vs Plastic and is a larger heavier camera which I prefer.

If you are happy with your 10D I would wait. Try the 350D when it comes out at your local camera store. See what it feels like, take some shots with your lenseshave a look at them at home and then see if its worth the purchase.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 7:17 PM   #4
TG

TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 11:24 PM   #5

Right now I am using a 10D with a Digital Rebel as a back-up. The Digital Rebel is a nice camera, but is so light compared to the 10D and this new Rebel is even smaller and lighter. So much smaller Canon had to introduce a new battery, so if you have a cache of backup batteries like I do, you now have to buy all new batteries to have a backup or two- one thing I'd rather not do right now.

Another thing to consider is the way you access certain functions. For instance, the placement of the flash exposure compensation button on the 10D allows me to change that setting on the fly without taking my eye from the viewfinder. With the new Rebel, you have to lower the camera and dive into a menu to set that function- not an improvement. It's even easier to set FEC on the Digital Rebel with the Russian hack installed.

Build quality with all the plastic, and they say it weighs less and is smaller than the Digital Rebel, while good makes the mounting of large lenses like my 100-400L kind of awkward. I find it a little difficult with a camera as light and small as the Digital Rebel as it is right now- I can only imagine how it will feel on a Digital Rebel XT.

Obviously, camera response, write speed, AF technology, etc, are all improved, substantially on the Rebel XT compared to the Digital Rebel, but not enough for me to buy one as a backup right now at what will be full SRP for the first few months- the 10D just feels too nice in use and my current image quality is not a problem. Maybe down the road I will replace my Rebel with this new body after everyone else has helped Canon recover initial costs and the price drops a little.

Attached image- Thanksgiving Square Prayer Tower- 10D with 15mm f2.8 Canon Full frame fisheye lens.

Attached Images

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 1:22 AM   #6

Have you outgrown the 10D? Is there something you need that it wont do? Are you unhappy with the results? If so change. Do you just want a new toy? If so fair enough, Photogrpahy is a passion for many of us and we enjoy treating ourselves. I dont thinkthe new camera will improve your pictures but you might enjoy owning it. If you can afford it why not, Im only guessing but I suppost most people would sooner buy lenses with our hard earned cash. I do always feel a tug on the wallet everytime Canon release a new model though. Then I just remind myself that my 1 year old rebel is more than enough camera for me and I don't even use half its functions. Why buy another camera with even more?Now Im off to read another review of the 1Ds Mk II. Enjoy and good luck.
Dinmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 9:26 AM   #7

The TX is not designed to be an upgrade to the 10D. It does have some improvements over it (like E-TTL II support) but the true upgrade to the 10D is the 20D.

The DRebel line of cameras has a different physical interface and different metering mode controls. I assume these carried forward in the TX. So to my mind, the TX would be a step backwards from the 10D.

Personally, I would *never* switch to the DRebel line of cameras because I use the functionality that the 10D offers (like easy exposure compensation changes.) Having the extra wheel is useful, and it isn't there on the original DRebel or the TX.

I'm sure someone out there on the web has made a three column table which lists the DRebel, the TX and the 10D (or maybe the 20) and lists all the features and which has what. That is what you need to look at, and think about what features of the 10D that you use. If you use things that the DRebel doesn't offer then don't upgrade.

Without knowing what features of the 10D you actually use, there is no way to truly say if the TX will fit your needs.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote