Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 19, 2005, 1:24 AM   #1

Hi,

I stumbled across this "free" graphics program the other day, in fact, before I'd heard about it on the BBC news web site.

It can take a 20D RAW image and allow you to modify it, with some quite nice effects.

Anyone else seen it?

You can get it at:-

http://www.picasa.com

And No, I'm not associated with then :-)

Cheers,
Carl.
CarlsPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2005, 12:28 PM   #2

I've heard of Picasa but really didn't know what it was all about. Based on your post I downloaded it; neat little utility for organizing folders/albums etc. The "time line" is a nice feature. It went through my complete hard drive and found every .jpg, .bmp, .gif etc in residence and included them all. It has lots of quick, "down and dirty" little profiles to work on images....I like it.

I have PSE 2 and just purchased PS-CS at half price under the Intuos tablet offer but have yet to install it. Meanwhile I'll play around with Picasa.

Thanks for the info.

TG
Trout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 2:19 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Yeah - I'm using it with PS-CS.

After I upgraded from Elements3 which had a built-in organiser I thought I'd give Picasa2 a try.

I like it.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 8:50 AM   #4

I downloaded it but haven't gotten around to playing with it yet.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 4:17 PM   #5

I'm considering getting Photoshop Elements 3, I'm using Paint Shop Pro at the moment.

Picasa is great for converting and sharpening images for my web site.

Carl.
Old Feb 26, 2005, 11:45 AM   #6

CarlsPhotos wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I stumbled across this "free" graphics program the other day, in fact, before I'd heard about it on the BBC news web site.

Cheers,
Carl.
IS picasa any good, you ask?

well, can Michael Jordan dunk?

ARE YOU KIDDING? Picasa is DA bomb. It's the best thing out there. FOR FREE. I love it. I paid money for picasa 1, i now have picasa 2 and let me tell you. It makes photoshop album -- a real piece of shit, btw -- look like a pathetic high school programming project.

Picasa can even do a few of the things that elements can do. Not all, obv but a few to the point where i barely even use my PS CS anymore. It's just not worth the hassle with layers, levels, and everything else. If I can't correct it in picasa, then screw it.
coontie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 3:43 PM   #7

I'm happy with using it. Got it installed everywhere!

I'm just starting to look at the latest Paint Shop Pro and the Studio version. Going to download it tonight and have a look!

Carl.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 12:44 PM   #8

I use Picasa but find it doesn't display Photoshop format images correctly. (At least those with layers) They come out corrupted and mostly purple. :sad:
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 8:36 PM   #9

I just heard of Picasa a couple of days ago. Ran across this thread on some comments that seemed to indicate it is a good little program for free. I downloaded it and played with it for a little while. It does some real nice things but I see two things that I don't like. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place but #1 I don't see any color adjustments at all? #2 It looks like the only way to save a pic after alterations is to use "save a copy", the problem is it cuts the file size almost in half! To make 8x10 prints I like to have the file size about the original size.. Am I missing something here? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Gerry
ggw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:03 PM   #10

double click on a pic, you'll see the adjustments in the upper left hand corner. Its automatically saved upon editing. (all changes are reversible)

And lets not forget that it's free and its main purpose is picture ORGANIZATION, not editing or correction.
coontie is offline   Reply With Quote