Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 19, 2005, 10:19 PM   #11

I am a bit jealous of all you guys that have the 20D when I'm stuck with my digital rebel. One thing on the yellow cast, I got that with my rebel sometimes too, but created a custom white balance using a piece of white poster board and it made a world of difference. I don't know anything about the features on the 20D, but I'm sure you should be able to create a custom white balance.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 1:11 AM   #12

Yes, the Nikon D70 DOES have 1/500th sec. flash sync. Come on Canon . . . . get with the Program!!!!
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 1:35 AM   #13

Caboose wrote:
Quote:
I am a bit jealous of all you guys that have the 20D when I'm stuck with my digital rebel. One thing on the yellow cast, I got that with my rebel sometimes too, but created a custom white balance using a piece of white poster board and it made a world of difference. I don't know anything about the features on the 20D, but I'm sure you should be able to create a custom white balance.
I wouldn't knock your DReb, because it's a really nice camera. Sure the 20D has a lot of extra features and is more rugged, but if you don'tneed the extras, and don't abuse your equipment the DReb will take photos that most will view as an identical to the 20D (using the same lens). Also, the extra MP is only an advantage if you're printing some fairly large photos.

Doing the custom white balance thing is a great idea. It's a feature that I haven't explored yet. Tonight I shot some pictures at a birthday party and they wereall a bit yellow ... fortunately there was a bit of white in each scene and they were easy to fix. I'll look into the custom white balance feature to see if it would have saved me some grief.

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 2:06 AM   #14

Railfire wrote:
Quote:
Yes, the Nikon D70 DOES have 1/500th sec. flash sync. Come on Canon . . . . get with the Program!!!!
This sounds like an interesting feature. I am a total newbie to this. What exactly is flash sync? What difference is there between 1/250 and 1/500. When would one need 1/250 or 1/500?
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 4:56 PM   #15

Ponin,
I don't claim this answer is exactly right in the details, but someone will correct me I'm sure. That is the fun of the forum (you learn and I learn.)

When you use a flash, the shutter in the camera is syncronised with the flash so that it fires at the right time. For some reason, there is a limit on how fast the shutter can go and still be able to fire the flash in sync with it. On many cameras its around 1/250 or so, but on some it goes much higher.

You might wonder, what is the advantage? Well, I'll tell you!

If your camera supports high-speed sync (only a few Nikons do, all(?) Canon DSLRs do. Come on Nikon.... get with the Program!!!! ) then you can shoot at whatever shutter speed you want. The flash will fire... but in a different way. It will fire 3 (I think) low power flash bursts instead of one big one. This reduces the power of the flash (amount of light, amount of reach) by 2/3. Making your flash much weaker. But at least it will let you use the flash as a fill flash. Remove shadows but not be the primary light.

I find this very helpful with my bird photography. If the bird is leaning over slightly their neck/head often throw a shadow onto the breast of the bird. If I use a fill flash, I can remove that shadow and it will look better.

Does that help?

The D70 having a 1/500'th flash sync means that they can use a faster shutter speed and still have a longer reaching flash. Very handy in the right situations. I with the 20D had a 1/500 sync, Nikon did it right there.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 10:28 PM   #16

So Does the 20D have a custom white balance feature? I am getting my camera in a few days and I am gathering all the information I need to be prepared. I hear nothing but good reviews so my purchase is based on users reviews. The yellowish cast in incandescent light is unacceptable, but if there's a way to set it in the camera then all will be well. Hope someone tried that suggestion and can report back.
goldstrikn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 12:19 AM   #17

Haven't had a chance to try this option yet, but like Eric said some flashes like the Sigma 500DG super and Canon 580ex have a "high speed sync " mode that can only be engaged and work when the shutter speed is set faster that the cameras max flash sync speed.

As far as I can guess, the flash fires multiple times, very quickly to follow the partially openshutter window as it crosses the sensor.

To answer some of the questions aboutflash sync,in normal flashmode the strobe must firewhile the shutter is completely open. This only happens up to a certain max speed. After which the shutter is never fully open during the exposure. The shutter is actually 2curtains, one curtain starts traveling firststarting the exposure, Then the other follows to end the exposure, at high shutter speeds the second curtain starts its trip before the first one has completed its trip.Thus at high speeds the exposure is actually a thin band that crosses the sensor, and a flash firing at maybe 1/10000 of a second is not lit long enough to illuminate the entire frame.

<nostalgia>

The only cameras I know that can sync at any speed are view cameras (and some MF), using lens mounted in shutters like the copal. In view cameras you mount the lens in your selected shutter, then mount the lens/shutter into a lens board(wood). Nice thing about view cameras is you can just about make your own cameraif you are handy with wood working. About the only thing you can't make is the lens and shutter.

</nostalgia>

Yes the 20D has many custom white balance settings, including one where you canenter any color temperature you choose. If you have a color-meter(not cheap)to read color temperatures :-)

Peter.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 12:43 AM   #18

My METZ 54 AF-1C has HSS & will sync above 1/200 second in TV Mode, but some people have said that they don't think that flash works too good in the TV Mode, but at least it seems to work ok for me. Still testing it.

DH
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:06 AM   #19

Just want to re-inforce that custom white balance will definitely help. Take a picture of a white piece of paper with your flash on, and import that in the camera as the new white color.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 2:18 PM   #20

barthold wrote:
Quote:
Just want to re-inforce that custom white balance will definitely help. Take a picture of a white piece of paper with your flash on, and import that in the camera as the new white color.

Barthold

How would you import this setting, could you provide a step-by-step procedure?

goldstrikn is offline   Reply With Quote