Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 15, 2005, 5:36 PM   #21

goldstrikn,

I'm at work now and no camera here. In any case, it should be in the camera's manual how to do that.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:09 PM   #22

Push the AF/WB button and turn dial to select the custom white balance option. It looks like two wedges with a solid square between them. Photograph a plain white object that fills the partial metering circle. You have to manual focus. Make sure to get a standard exposure. Then go to your menu and select custom white balance. Then you find the pic of the white thing (paper, wall, whatever is really white) and push set!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" I've used this feature because of the yellowing that was mentioned and it worked very well for me.Hope this helps!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Grady
GHayes396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 5:05 PM   #23

I sent my 20D into Canon two weeks ago and got it back monday. I sent it to be cleaned, my attempt didn't turn out so well, and adjusted (was pretty sure it was having a front focus problem). After the adjustment from Canon I can say that it's exposing a little differently. My images are coming out brighter, and the funny thing is the internal flash seems to be exposing a 1/3 stop brighter than my 580ex.

Also with the 580ex, in bounce mode, I can take a picture and it has a little bit of an orange cast to it, bump up the FEC one tick and the orange cast is gone. Haven't had much time to play with it, those are just my initial findings.

It's just interesting how the camera doesn't under expose with the internal flash like it did when I first got it.
Proxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 6:53 PM   #24

Thank you Ghayes, and Barthold. You see I am a newbee and I don't have the camera till Monday 21!!! I can't wait, so I am just gathering all the information I need to be set and not dissapointed. Problem now I see in some forums (even here) is that some pictures are out of focus, but that could be user problem rather than hardware, I just hope and pray that I wont face this due to camera malfunction. I'll wait and see.
goldstrikn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 8:32 AM   #25

I've had mine since Nov. and have had no focusing problems with it. The only time auto focus has failed me has been in a dark setting where I don't want to use the flash, which I seem to do a lot of! Other than that I haven't had any problems with the focusing. Seeing as that I'm a newbie myself maybe I don't know enough to know when I have a focusing problem though! :?I don't think that's it though. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine. It's a little mind boggling at first but it's a fun learning trip. I'm still on the trip and will be for a while which I love!

Grady
GHayes396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 2:28 PM   #26

I am new the forum, but unless I am missing something, the canon 20D with the right EX series flash will sync at all shutter speeds even 1/8000. This is from the new Magic Lantern Guide on the 20D "the camera does offer high speed sync with EX-series flas units that allow flas at all shutter speeds. high speed synchronization must be activated on the flash unit itself and is indicated by an Hon the flash unit's LCD panel." I believe Ex series flashes 420 and up have this feature

Medicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 2:36 PM   #27

Hi Medicman, welcome to the forums!

Yes you are correct about the high speed sync, but there is a trade-off, the flash is fired multiple times per image during high speed sync, so its power output (Guide number) is reduced by the number of times the flash has to fire to take a complete image.

This feature is available when usingthe Sigma 500 DG super flash as well.

Peter.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:05 PM   #28

First, I wanted to say that you shouldn't worry about focus problems. 99% of the focus problems people encounter are user error. The stuff Canon makes really is quite good. You read a lot about Canon lenses or Camera bodies misfocussing, true. But that doesn't mean it happens to most units sold! Enjoy your camera and focus on your technique.

On to high-speed sync flash. This is an interesting topic. Above 1/250s of a second (for most Canon camera bodies) you need to switch the flash into the high-speed sync mode. However, you just made the duration of the flash 40 times or so longer than when you were taking a flash picture when not in high speed sync mode!

Why is that? Because in normal flash mode, the flash burst takes about 1/20,000 second. In high-speed sync flash mode the flash will last as long as the shutter speed. Say, you picked 1/500 second. That is 40 times longer flash exposure even although your shutter speed is faster. Weird!

Hre's how high-speed sync flash works.

http://photozone.de/3Technology/flashtec5.htm

Here's how normal flash works:

http://photozone.de/3Technology/flashtec4.htm

Here's a comparison between the two taking a picture of an object spinning at 30,000 rpm:

http://webs.lanset.com/rcochran/flash/hss.html

Finally, here's more than you ever wanted to know about flashes and Canon:

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

Happy reading!

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote