Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 19, 2005, 12:00 PM   #1

Okay, I've owned the 20D for onlyone day.

A quick summary of it's strengths and weaknesses after one day:

Strengths

- Starts up lighting fast

- Very responsive shutter

- Intuitive menu system

- Yes, ISO3200 and you stillget a usable shot!

-Controls remind meof my old Canon A1 film camera!

Weaknesses

- Odd yellowishcast withauto white balanceunder incandescent light

- Strange choice of controls to set ISO, continous shooting.

- Highest speed of flash synchronization is 1/250th (would have liked 1/1000)

- The 3 meg files slower to unload to the PC, slower to open. Slows down work flow. Not a critique of the 20D but a general observation.

Has anyone figured out how to take out the yellowish cast on photos? I have a few programs that adjust tint, but I usually end up with some other odd color cast.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2005, 2:01 PM   #2

Terry, while we all want 1/1000 fash sync, I don't know of any camera that has it (of course, I don't know all cameras!) The best I know of is 1/500, and that is on the Pro grade cameras. 1/250 is slower than I'd like (isn't is slower than the 10D?)

I believe there was some trick that could be played with the 1D, because it had an electronic shutter, that let you effectively have a higher flash sync beyond what the "limit" was supposed to be. But I never learned what it was.

I don't shoot under incandescent light. I have found a blue cast some times when doing RAW conversion, but I think that is me adjusting the color temp without also adjusting the tint.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 2:23 PM   #3

Are you getting a yellowish cast using flash? This happens to me sometimes when I bounce, but the problem goes away when I use my Lumiquest 80/20 bounce diffuser. The only problem is that the 80/20 doesn't work in protrait mode, so I'm going to try a piece of white card with and elastic to direct some flash towards the subject while allowing most to bounce off the ceiling.

Also, just wondering, but what camera has an X-syncfaster than 1/250 s? Even the top of the line EOS 1Ds Mark II has an X-Sync of 1/250 s. Switch your flash to high-speed sync and the 20D can be used up to 1/8000 s if your flash is powerful enough. The guide number for a 420EX at 1/4000 is only 4.3 metersat ISO 100 and 50 mm, compared to 16.3 at 1/250 s.

I shoot RAW, where the files are ~ 7MB and they transfer very fast directly from the camera, which makes sense since it's USB2. You sure that it isn't a problem with your PC (or maybe our expectations are different)? Try transferring 10 RAW files shot at ISO 100 and let us know how long it is taking you.

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 5:38 PM   #4

Eric,

My old fuji finepix S602 has 1/1000th flash synchronization. Nice for sports if I want some flash fill at 1/500th or 1/1000th. Not sure of the trick to override it.

Bob,

Not bouncing off the ceiling actual, and no problem with my monitor. I've heard other people complain about the yellowish cast, and I've seen 20D images posted with it.

The problem may be that the incandescent is actually giving off a yellowish haze even though our eyes have already adjusted to it. I will try again, with two shots, one from my finepix and try another withthe 20D.

As an update, took the 20D out today with the Canon 50mm F1.4 lens. The responsiveness is definitely in another category. It's nice not to have to worry about camera start or shutter lag. The autofocus was pretty crisp too.

I put in a one gig card. Some of these images are 5-6 meg, which is somewhat worrying cause the manual says they should only be 3 meg on average!

Attached is a yellowish photo I took. Keep in mind it was at ISO3200, F1.4 (wide open) and 1/60th under pretty low light.

Attached Images

Old Feb 19, 2005, 5:38 PM   #5

Here's a down-sized version of the photo with the yellowish cast.

Attached Images

Old Feb 19, 2005, 5:54 PM   #6

Yup, I sometimes get ones like that too ... and the room I'm shooting in looks to have the same color walls and trim as yours (hey ... you at my house?). Is it better when you bounce straight up (90 deg)?

The best color I've experienced is when I use the Lumiquest 80/20.

I hope you don't mind, but I took your image into PS Elements and used the dropper tocorrect the color (selecting a patch of white in the towel she is holding).

Bob

Attached Images

BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 6:11 PM   #7

Bob,

That was my fiance you just droppered! lol.

Actually, your correction looks good.

I tried that dropper tool in Elements but didn't realize I needed to look for white in the scene. I was using her skin tone as the basis, and when I adjusted things started to look worse.

Yah, the lighting would make the difference, or using bounce flash as you suggested. I should look into the Lumiquest.

I was testing out available light/low light when I took the shot, pushing it to the extreme with 1/60th ISO3200 F1.4 to see what kind of result I'd get.

I will try shooting RAW as suggested. I don't have USB 2.0 ports on my computer and my slots at the back are maxxed out with firewire ports! Will have to pull one of the firewire cards and install a USB2.0 card (oh, the pain!).

Thanks for your help!

--- Terry

Old Feb 19, 2005, 8:16 PM   #8

You could get a Firewire card reader. Mine is the SanDisk Firewire Imagemate for Compact Flash.
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 9:44 PM   #9

I bet that camera has such a fast sync is because it has an electronic shutter. That is a whole different beast and I believe faster sync speeds are much easier. The 1D had it as well, but I don't think any of the other Canon DSLRs do. As a side note, I think the Nikon D70 has a 1/500 sync speed. Very nice.

As to copying faster and just slowing down post processing. I agree. I have a Athlon XP 2000+ and even after getting a second 1G RAM stick I still find it kinda slow. Not "too slow" but I'd like faster. I'm waiting for dual core CPUs to come out and then I'll think about upgrading. Won't help image loading, but maybe some of the filters.

A firewire reader is faster than all but the best USB2 readers (and the best firewire is better than even the best USB2.) You might want to try that. I got one and with my 80x Lexar 1G card I've been very happy. Much better than my old USB1 reader.

BobA. If you change to high-speed sync, you loose either 1/3 or 2/3 of the power of the flash. This is because it has to fire several smaller bursts sync'ed with the shutter instead of only one burst. So that nice big guide number gets reduced by a lot. I still use it, a lot actually. Still works great for a fill flash but without a better beamer it doesn't have a lot of reach.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 10:06 PM   #10

Here's another "hidden" but pleasant cost of the 20D.

I displayed a photo from my 20Donmy Dell 17 inch normal (not flat screen) monitor, then displayed the same photo on my top of the line laptop screen.

What a difference! The detail on the laptop screen was phenomenal. Photos that looked ordinary on my dell monitor turned into "keepers" on my laptop screen. Much more contrast and detail.

I think I will be upgrading my tower PCmonitor to one of those nice flat screens.

-- Terry