Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 20, 2005, 8:42 PM   #1

I was just about decided on the purchase of aRebel - especially with prices now just under $700. I have the opportunity to get a "Factory Demo" fully warranteed 10D (body kit only)for $799. Which would you choose? What features are gained with the 10D?
Geeeyejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2005, 11:30 PM   #2

What is your budget going to be altogether?
You may want to wait, saving up a little more, then buy the Rebel XT when it comes out. Or, if you can wait a few months, the price will drop a little. I am in the same situation as you, sorta. I am buying my first DSLR, kinda leaning toward the Rebel 300D, maybe will go with the XT. Remote chance that I will get a 20D, but will only get one high-quality lens first, maybe 50% of what I spend on the 20D. By the time I save up for the 20D, maybe an EOS 25D XT or an EOS 40D will be released.

Do consider good glass in your budget. Also consider if you intend on upgrading the body at some point and the resale value of the body. By the time you upgrade and want to buy a new body, the XT may have a higher resale value than the 300D or the 10D. Glass, you keep.

Even if you get an 18-55 kit lens, you can probably sell that off together with the Rebel (300D/350D) when the time comes.

Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 11:38 PM   #3

I'd wait for the XT to hit the market on shelves and what not, then get the 10D when the price drops, I would pick a 10D over a 300D if they were identical price.
kb244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 11:57 PM   #4

kb244 wrote:
Quote:
I'd wait for the XT to hit the market on shelves and what not, then get the 10D when the price drops, I would pick a 10D over a 300D if they were identical price.
I agree, it is best to wait until March when the XT is released. You can then give it a little more thought from that point onward and in the process, the XT may drop a little and the 10D may drop a little also in price.
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 7:27 AM   #5

Well, I jumped - ordered the 10D last night! I couldn't spring for the cash of the new Rebel or 20D and at $799 the 10D seemed like a great value. Really wanted the metal body too. Now to shop for a lense!
Geeeyejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 5:10 PM   #6

You made the right choice!

The Digital Rebel is slightly more advanced when it comes to AF technology as it is slightly newer, and if you load the Russian hack you can gain access to many functions that make the Rebel easier to use- I have one as a backup to my 10D, but the 10D gives it all to you up front in a very easy to use layout that lets you set many funtions on the fly without having to take your eye from the viewfinder. The 10D is MUCH better built and the shutter release action is very smooth compared to the Digital Rebel. Having tried a 20D in the store against my 10D I can say shutter noise is one thing the 10D has going for it compared to the 20D. At $800 the 10D is a great buy.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 5:50 PM   #7

I picked up a 10D a couple of months ago but should have waited for the price to drop. I paid 1K USD 2nd hand (although PERFECT nick) I could buy one new today for the same. Ho. Hum.

Tried both in the hand (300D vs 10D) and the 300D really feels cheap in comparisong. The 10D build quality is really much better and, although I could have saved a couple of hundred by waiting or shopping around more, I'm still completely made up with the camera.

My advice; get a deal on a 10D
bomberesque is offline   Reply With Quote