Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 22, 2005, 7:36 AM   #1

Isn't Photography about getting great pictures not great cameras, don't get me wrong, I love the technology and the beauty of all this new stuff but aren't we all just becoming a bit obsessed with new cameras.

We're always told it's the lense that is important, yes there's the camera features to take into account but how many people really use more than Fully Auto or Programmed Mode. I know creative modes give you more artistic license, I use manual mode now more than any other but most people just seem to point and shoot.

Shouldn't we look at learning how to use the cameras we have already instead of bogging our selves down with new tech.

I have a 300D and at first I wasn't too pleased but with practice and persistence I am now happier than ever and get some great results. I don't need a new camera I just need more practice with the one I've already got.

Just a thought.:-)

cheers

Mart.
mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2005, 8:20 AM   #2

The only time I use "P" is when I'm using a flash in complex situation. I need to learn how to use my flash better. I always live in Av and use exposure comp to correct exposure when necessary.

I bet I'd learn more using manual mode, but the situations I shoot don't last long enough for me to have to adjust that many settings to get the shot.

The 300D is a good camera. My only complaints against it (note, I don't own one) is the interface. I dislike some of the things they did to make it different from the 10D (the 20D was not out at the time.) Having only one wheel and the limits on how to select exposure mode would drive me up a wall.

I view it similar to you. A camera and lens is a tool. You get the proper tool for the job. This often leads you into a morass of technical details... but you should go there because you are exploring what you want to do and what it will take to do it.

This is why I hate it when people say "which lens is better X or Y?" and don't say what they shoot. That is like asking which car is better and not saying anything more. Better for what????

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 8:36 AM   #3
Super Moderator

There are 2 distinct but related hobbies involved:

1. Photographic equipment.
2. Photography.

It's quite possible to be quite good at one without being terribly interested in the other.

People who hang out mostly in the gear forums are often somewhat better at the first than the second, but I don't see anything wrong with that. They're our hobbies after all and there is a great deal of joy to be had in owning and using fine tools.

Not everyone who owns a Ferrari is a racing driver either.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 9:12 AM   #4

I completely agree with you. First you need workable equipment then it is up to you to go forth and shoot. I ended up with a 20D because it was there when I had to go out and buy my own equipment. I would have been happy with a 10D. :-)

As for modes, I mostly shoot either full manual or aperture priority.

Two of my images that keep selling over and over,

The first one seems to be fond for brochure covers. Was taken with a 12$ Kodak waterproof single use camera while swimming.

Sail&Sunset

The second is selling very well as a limited edition print, was taken years ago with a Canon A1, and a Magnicon 28-70(real cheap) lens, the original negatives were lost in an accident, and all I had was a very good 5*7 print.A good qualityscan was made of the print, it was up-sized in genuine fractals and massaged in Photoshop. Staring at the 12.5*18 prints you cannot tell they are not direct photographs.

Tell me what kind of resolution/quality youexpect toget from scanned a 5*7 print :-)Marketing has done a very good jobfueling the more is bettermega-pixel wars.:roll:Since I have to pay for it now, I do not expect to "upgrade" the body again for many years.

Mossington park

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 10:22 AM   #5
Super Moderator

for me chatting aboutand readingabout new gear gives me a way to enjoy photography when i am not able to be outside shooting pictures and don't feel like being planted in front of photoshop doing some editing..

our gear that we use also serves as a way to bring together a very diverse field.. no matter what you shoot or what you shoot it with, its always fun to get together and give our opinions on lens x vs lens y or camera a vs camera b.. plus these topics tend to bring on conversation regarding photography techniques or a sharing of a favorite picture etc..

so am i obsessed with new equipment, heck yea i am.. but i am also obsessed with taking great pictures with what i have as well..

p.s. i am also ex-program shift guy that now happily resides in Av-land
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 10:57 AM   #6

For me, reading up on the latest tech and new developments help me keep an edge on what new things are evolving Photography.....like come on, digital photography completly changed the photographic community. And this is the place that u would find all the news. There is a technical aspect to photography, mostly because we have to depend on the effienticy of our camera to produced the image....now i no that we dun leave it up to the camera to take the pick....(useless scene modes. imho) but when we have understanding about the finer aspects of our cameras we have greater control in our medium. One can say that as the nikon advertisement says "if the picture matters, the camera matters"......u can make great pics with any camera but the more technologically advanced camera's give u better control.

IMHO IMHO IMHO.......^^
Cowardlylion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 11:04 AM   #7
Super Moderator

There is another reason we're all so obsessed with new gear at the moment - there is so much of it!

Photography is right in the middle of the digital revolution, about like what was happening in computing 5 years ago. In the computing world things have slowed down A LOT. Moore's law has stalled in the CPU speed stakes.

The same thing is fairly likely to happen with DSLR cameras in maybe 2-3 years from now. Product cycles will lengthen again as the manufacturers find that they can't make dramatic improvements in short time frames, of course at the moment they are jockying furiously for market share because if one manufacturer can take 20% market share from the other in this period they will probably keep it long term. I think this is what we're seeing with Canon; they're stealing market share from everyone, but at the high end it's Nikon that's really hurting and it's not clear how quickly they will recover - if ever.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 11:46 AM   #8

:-)As you said in your earlier post the are 2 camps, The equipment'ers and The image'ers. Some live in one, some in the other, and many quite happily livein both camps.

It is much the same as with home PC's (I will frighten some now with my archaic setup) I stopped the PC upgrade cycle a couple of years ago when I moved to an athalon xp1600, 1gb of memory, and 2 drives totaling about 300gb space. I did recently replace the CD burner with a DVD burner.:GNo idea(don't care)what is in my T-40 laptop it does what it needs to. Baring some horrible failure, I have no plans to "upgrade" the pc toys again.

I found that the technological "new" was coming too fast, and my wallet was not filling up fast enough to keep up with it.:?

IMHO: I'd rather spend my spare cash to do go see's(travel&shoot) than to keep upgrading just because it is there.

:blah:My latest piece of photo-equipment has just arrived, it is a Carbon Rifleman Riverbottom pop-up blind. Scared the **** out of the cat when I let it open in the living-room :blah:

Peter.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 1:21 PM   #9

I'm glad I asked this question now, some very interesting replies and I tend to agree with all of you. I too love all the new gear and it certainly seems there's plenty of new stuff to temp our wallets.

I'm trying not to get taken in by it all though and stick with what I've got for now and learn to create great pictures then maybe I'll deserve the latest and greatest.

I do like the 1d MKII though, mainly for it's 8 Frames a second performance and great looks of course.

Well for all of you who like to chase technology and for all you who just like to create great photographs, I wish you all the best and hope you thoroughly enjoy every moment.

cheers

Mart.
mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 1:35 PM   #10

I agree completely. I suspect that many of the "avid enthusiasts" who post here are less budding photogs than tech junkies.

jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote