Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 23, 2005, 4:55 PM   #21

Ewok wrote:
Quote:
The 20D will focus more accurately using the high-precision mode.
ya, I meant faster/more accurately :G
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 6:42 PM   #22

Perhaps you should wait until the Rebel XT is delivered and available before making statements about its performance. Lots of folks are jumping onto the XTbandwagon based on a few incomplete reviews and a brochure from the manufacturer.

The 20D had some problems when the first ones hit the stores, many of which have been addressed by firmware updates. I'm comfortable that the new Rebel will be a nice camera, but it would be good to wait at least until it comes out.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 6:44 PM   #23

Pauza-

In all fairness we should not consider the complimentary software that comes with the digital camera. We are attempting to judge digital cameras on a level playing field.

Speaklightly
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 6:51 PM   #24

At least for me, the quality of the ISO 1600 image is the deciding factor when considering the Canon EOS 20D and any other digital camera such as the Pentax 1stDS.

By the way. anyone interested in seeing a direct comparison of Canopn EOS 20D and the Pentax 1stDS? You will be amazed at how close they really are!

Speaklightly
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 7:08 PM   #25

I would be very interested to see that, before any editing!
franckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 8:00 PM   #26

KM_krazy wrote:
Quote:
Its (currently) $500 MORE than the XT (when it comes out) and what more IMPORTONT features do you have that are worth $500 on the 20D, that the XT doesn't have.
Metal body is a plus, but plastic is tough enough for most people (I hope:lol The 5Fps would be really nice. . .and that is probably the most tempting feature of the 20D over the XT.
As far as the other stuff goes. . .more custom controls would be kinda nice. . but hte XT had a fair number. The extra AF points is nice. . .but does it really make a huge Ddfference?
Other than that. . what are some other things that would make it worth the $500 extra bucks over the XT?
In Canada, the price difference is a lot higher. It works out that the 20D is about $800USD more expensive than the XT. I don't understand the economics behind the market and the US-CDN exchange. Can someone clarify why the gap is so much larger in Canada?
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 9:08 PM   #27

Hi,

If it were my first DSLR, I would go for the 20D. The size of the 350 XT it way too small and light. I have the 300D and it is a little small for my liking, But livable.

The XT is an entry level camera. Where as the 20D is the next step up. Just picture a bigma lens on a 20D. Ok Now picture this same lens on a 350 XT.

The 350 XT is about 25% smaller and 15% light than the 300D. If I wanted a camera that small and light I could have bought a DSLR Like camera instead and saved Alot.

The point being is that When I Got a DSLR I want it to a Good sized camera that is comfortable to use and give Good results. Not an itty bitty little camera with the features of the more advanced DSLRs.

This is my opinion.

bluwing
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 10:10 PM   #28

Ponin wrote:
Quote:
In Canada, the price difference is a lot higher. It works out that the 20D is about $800USD more expensive than the XT. I don't understand the economics behind the market and the US-CDN exchange. Can someone clarify why the gap is so much larger in Canada?
If history repeats itself as it always seems to with Canon camera bodies, the XT will probably be identially priced (once it is in the stores) in Canada and the US after taking exchange into account. Sometimes the Canadian prices for Canon bodies is even a better deal.

It's a different story for higher priced Canon lenses (i.e., L glass lenses), where it is much, much cheaper to import from the US than purchase in Canada.

The XT doesn't go on sale until the end of March from what I understand, so therewill beno actual retail pricesto make a true comparison for some time.

One note: The US stores have been the first to drop prices though (the 20D is currently about$150 US less in the USA).Be interesting to see how long it takes the Canadian stores to react.

Bob

BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 4:40 AM   #29

speaklightly wrote:
Quote:
Pauza-

In all fairness we should not consider the complimentary software that comes with the digital camera. We are attempting to judge digital cameras on a level playing field.

Speaklightly
When I spoke about 300D vs. 10D what I meant by "huge construction and software differences" was firmware, sorry.
The thing that got hacked in order to unlock some of the 10D-like features...

But, for the info, the 350D does not come with Photoshop Elements...
pauza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 3:18 PM   #30

pauza wrote:
Quote:
speaklightly wrote:
Quote:
Pauza-

Speaklightly
When I spoke about 300D vs. 10D what I meant by "huge construction and software differences" was firmware, sorry.
The thing that got hacked in order to unlock some of the 10D-like features...

But, for the info, the 350D does not come with Photoshop Elements...
I don't care about it coming with Photoshop. . I already have Photoshop CS
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote