Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 22, 2005, 1:53 PM   #1

Its (currently) $500 MORE than the XT (when it comes out) and what more IMPORTONT features do you have that are worth $500 on the 20D, that the XT doesn't have.
Metal body is a plus, but plastic is tough enough for most people (I hope:lol The 5Fps would be really nice. . .and that is probably the most tempting feature of the 20D over the XT.
As far as the other stuff goes. . .more custom controls would be kinda nice. . but hte XT had a fair number. The extra AF points is nice. . .but does it really make a huge Ddfference?
Other than that. . what are some other things that would make it worth the $500 extra bucks over the XT?
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2005, 2:02 PM   #2
Super Moderator

the biggest plus for me is the durability of the metal frame..

and lest we all forget, the XT CMOS sensor has not been tested, so how it performs at higher ISO's is yet to be seen..

i have also heard some comments suggesting the 20d has a better shutter life..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:04 PM   #3

anyone know when it ships?
Cowardlylion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:15 PM   #4

I heard end of march, somewhere
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:34 PM   #5
Super Moderator

i heard march 1
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 5:45 PM   #6

Both cameras will take superb pictures. Compared to 3 years ago they are light years ahead. compared to three years from now they are relics. So buy a compact flash, try them both and whichever you like the best on gut feeling is the one. All this feature analysis doesn't mean the pictures you will take be better. Buy one and take a ton of pictures. You will probably never outgrow either camera.

Good luck and enjoy...........
Dinmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 6:41 PM   #7

Probably couldn't tell pics apart from each other without knowing which is which. The lens is wwhat will make the difference. 2cents
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 1:13 AM   #8

Dinmore wrote:
Quote:
Both cameras will take superb pictures. Compared to 3 years ago they are light years ahead. compared to three years from now they are relics. So buy a compact flash, try them both and whichever you like the best on gut feeling is the one. All this feature analysis doesn't mean the pictures you will take be better. Buy one and take a ton of pictures. You will probably never outgrow either camera.

Good luck and enjoy...........
I like the feel of the steel and magnesium body, but this hardly justifies the extra $500, which I could otherwise put towards some pretty glass. I will continue saving for the 20D and then see what happens. Who knows, maybe by then the 20D will have a replacement (40D? 45D?) and maybe the 20D price will drop $500.
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 3:58 AM   #9

XT vs. 20D? Okay. But strange thing are happening...

In the past year there was a 300D vs. 10D... 500$ difference, huge construction and software differences. Just a few: plastic vs. metal, "pentamirror" vs. pentaprism, no mirror lockup, cannot select manually AI servo and the list can go on, and on...

Now, there is a 350D vs. 20D... 500$ difference. Where is the "gap" between them? Because I don't see the critical missing parts of the 300D over 10D...
Now that I own a 20D, I think I lie to myself if I say that I'd still go for the 20D... there is no stripped things to the XT, all is in place, big sensor, pentamirror, mirror lockup, there is plastic... and I think plastic is more shock absorbant and easier to replace (cheaper)... The rest of "20% smaller or slower" in the XT don't count over the "not at all" in the 300D...

And YES, finally I hope the D70 vs. 20D will be gone... XT will storm D70, leaving 20D where it belongs, on the same level with KM 7D...
pauza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 4:28 AM   #10

I found an article that might help clear things up:

http://bobatkins.com/photography/dig...xt_vs_20d.html

Both the XT and 20D produce wonderful images. The XT, according to Bob, is scheduled for release March 20th, 2005.
Around $899.99USD (~$1120CDN) for the body alone, and a bit more than the currency conversion factor in Canada (~$1400CDN).
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote