Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 26, 2005, 7:36 PM   #1

I am looking to get the Rebel XT (like most of you:lolwhen it comes out next month (22days!), but I am trying to find a good Compact Flash card for it. I am kind of down to the 1GB Lexar 80x, and the 1GB Sandisk Extreme III 133x. I know that we don't know how the XT will perform yet, but, is there any of you 20D or 300D (digital Rebel) users out there that know anything about these cards performance? From reading reviews and such, it looks like the Lexar pro 80x, even though almost half the speed of the, performs at about the same speed (and I have seen places where it has come out on top) as the Sandisk Extreme III.
Any input from users of these two cards would be great
Thanks!
Max
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2005, 9:32 AM   #2

now do you actually think that there will be a great difference between the 2 in that camera? in short one that will make a difference in your shooting style/capability.

i shoot with a 1Dmk2 and of the 6 2GB cf cards i use 5 are ultra 2 models and 1 is an extreme 3. the differences in my camera in transfer are negligable and not noticable while shooting. now there being currently an almost $40 difference there and both carry literally the same warranty in addition the rescuepro software (included with the E3)does not hold a candle to photorescue in its capability. i'll stick with the ultras for awhile.

my camera does raw xfrs at about 7MB/s ultra2 7.4MB/s E3

the 20D does it at 5.6MB/s Ultra2 and 5.9MB/s E3

Rebel lexar 80x second edition raw 1.3MB/s

Rebel sandisk ultra2 raw 1.28MB/s

Rebel sandisk E3 raw 1.32MB/s

Rebel XT is an unknown quantity at the moment expect it to be near that of the 20D but less

http://65.110.81.28/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

http://65.110.81.28/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6425
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 10:36 AM   #3

Max,

I have a Canon20D and I use a Kingston 1gig CF card, nothing special, that I got on sale for $59 after rebates.

As I don't use the continous shooting mode,I find no difference between a cheapo and expensive card because the 20D buffers the shots and writes them to the card without my noticing.

On the computer upload side of the equation, the biggest difference in my upload times will be the fact I use a USB 2.0 port rather than USB1.1. USB 2.0 is forty times faster.

Check out whether your new camera supports USB2.0 and make sure your computer either has the USB2.0 ports already, or put a PCI card in the back of your computer that will give you some USB 2.0 ports.

I bought my USB2.0 BelkinPCI card at Radioshack for$25. Ithas five USB2.0 ports. I plug the USB cable into my 20D and into the USB 2.0 port on the back of my computer (PCI card) for really fast uploads.

WithoutUSB2.0, you will waitfor ages toupload your photos to your PC.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 3:27 PM   #4

I'd recommend Lexar, I've got 1 2Gb and 2 1Gb and have no problems with them!

My next purchase will be 1 or 2 more 2Gb ones, they are coming down in price to make them more affordable.

Carl.
CarlsPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 5:29 PM   #5

Heres a useful link for you

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6425

Rob galbraith's CF database, basically shows the speed of almost every card, on *almost* every DSLR camera, guess 350 isnt old enough yet to hit the list, but look at the comparism there.
kb244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 9:31 PM   #6

Thanks guys
I think I will get a 1 gig Lexar 80x, and a 512 SanDisk Ultra II.
I will mostly be shooting in regular 1 frame mode, but I do do a fair ammount of burst shooting with my current 5MP camera. . . so I would like to have a card that will write the 8MP images without waiting half an hour.
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 9:52 PM   #7

KM_krazy wrote:
Quote:
Thanks guys
I think I will get a 1 gig Lexar 80x, and a 512 SanDisk Ultra II.
I will mostly be shooting in regular 1 frame mode, but I do do a fair ammount of burst shooting with my current 5MP camera. . . so I would like to have a card that will write the 8MP images without waiting half an hour.
Just to re-iterate keep in mind its very dependant on your camera and not just your card, so dont be disappointed if you dont get the absolute speed you were expecting just from the card's specs.
kb244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 11:06 PM   #8

kb244 wrote:
Quote:
Heres a useful link for you

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6425

Rob galbraith's CF database, basically shows the speed of almost every card, on *almost* every DSLR camera, guess 350 isnt old enough yet to hit the list, but look at the comparism there.

350 isnt old enough yet to hit the list?! the 350/rebel xt isnt even out yet. how could it even be on the list?:lol:
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote