Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 26, 2005, 8:15 PM   #1

I was surprised and disappointed to find that the 20D does not have a wireless remote capability - thought the Rebel does).

I suspect its all about being a more 'serious' camera but as a human with a family it was disappointing to find I'd need to drape a cord around into shots with me!

Anyone know of a 3rd party wireless remote with camera mounted receiver?
DFWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2005, 8:56 PM   #2

Hey mate, check this out. I think it is what you are looking for:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...877547813&rd=1

Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 9:24 PM   #3

Cord in the image? Why not use the 20D's built in timer. (It's is how I took my new avatar image)

I got the RC-1 wireless remotefreewith another EOS 35mm camera and I found it was next to useless.

It is an ultrasonic remote, and pretty well only worked from directly in front of the camera, with a range of maybe 10-15 feet. You also had to go and push the remote option and shutter button on the camera to activate the function and it canceled itself in about 30seconds if not used.

You also can use the 20D camera tethered to a PC/laptop USB2 port with the bundled Canon Capture, lot of remote control options in that program.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 11:55 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'm a bit sensitive to my new toy falling short of perfection with a desired (though personally untested) function like wireless remote control.

However, the idea of attaching a cord to a relatively heavy and fragile AU$5,000 sitting atop a tripod then walking away with it in a party /picnic or otherwise populated environmnet makes me shudder. Studio or jungle not so risky, but I don't have either.

Thanks for the link Ponin. I will look into it here in Aus. Could be the treat. Need a chain lock to use it at 1500ft though!

Peter, I love the timer release, but just today was taking a set of family group portraits (14 subjects in one shot of which I was a part) for a 50th wedding anniversary and the kids (especially the 15-25 yo's) got pretty restless pretty quickly with me running back and forth for each shot. I ended up with a set of shots about half as numerous as I would have liked to pick the winners from.

Interested with your experience with wireless remote being next to useless. I will look at limitations before I leap with one.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 12:08 AM   #5

At US$150 the Adidt Technology's R3 Wire/Wireless Remote Controller is nearly 10 times the price of the one available for the 300D in Aus, which is the size of acar key to boot!
Old Feb 27, 2005, 12:59 AM   #6

DFWJ wrote:
Quote:
At US$150 the Adidt Technology's R3 Wire/Wireless Remote Controller is nearly 10 times the price of the one available for the 300D in Aus, which is the size of a car key to boot!
Doah! :sad:
Old Feb 27, 2005, 1:00 AM   #7

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...sPageName=WDVW

I didn't read too much of this, but I hope that this is not the same one.

edit: Oh crap, it is very expensive too.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 1:27 AM   #8

Thanks for looking!

I don't need it tomorrow, so will keep hunting. Found some unhappy reviews on the ADIDT one.