Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 7, 2005, 11:54 AM   #11

Canon 350D now available in the UK - just purchased one from Jessops - charged battery and powered it up - Err 99 - manual says this is a general error. Back to Jessops who tried everything to get it to work then exchanged it for another. Took this one home - charged battery - powered up and guess what ! - menu system kept freezing and no beep when autofocus was set. Back to Jessops who again tried everything to get it to work then exchanged it for another.

I am now on my third new camera and so far this is working Ok.

Have also bought the battery grip and this is superb - even has an adapter for 6 AA batteries.

Has anyone else heard of any problems with the 350D or am I just unlucky ?

rpjjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 6:01 PM   #12

Thought I had narrowed my problem to the Tamron 28-75 XR Di but it occurs with my canon lenses. Mine is interesting, err#99, turn off and back on and I am in business. Sometimes I can go 200 + shots with no problems. Probably will send to Canon for repaitr. Hopefully the cost will alot less than replacement cost. Prices keep dropping at some point it may be best to retire the D-Reb. "Bummer"...
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 1:30 PM   #13

Nope, you're not alone. I have the XT and went out shooting with a 75-300mm IS lens attached to it for the first time, and got the 99 error today. I've had the XT for 3 weeks without problems, the error only occured when I attached my new 75-300 IS lens. I know it's too soon for Canon to have a fix fot the XT firmware, but I'm not entirely sure I want to 'wait it out' until it's past my return period.
I'm not too sure what to do!
-Laura
roxystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 1:54 PM   #14
TC3

Many XT owners have been having hot pixel, front focusing and erorcodes. Take a look at dpreview forums and you will see there seems to be a quality issue with the XT.

I myself will definatly get one from Jessops due to their excellent returns policy and price matching

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 2:52 PM   #15

I have more success using my Kit lens. err#99 seldom appears. I was shooting with an older Canon EF 70-210 4.0yesterday afternoon testing the camera. The lens is about 20 yrs old. Got err#99 on a continous basis. Tried my ef 50 1.8 (about 15 yrs old) and got err99 regularly. I am beginning to think this is a lens communication problem requiring a firmware fix from canon. I don't know what to advise as far as keeping your XT. I plan to try my EF 28-135IS I purchased last year to see what happens.

Update: No relief, err99 getting worse. Next stop, Canon Service Center!!!!!

Sent Camera to Canon Service Center in Irvine. Waiting for Canon Feedback....
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote