Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 26, 2005, 10:21 PM   #1

I've done searches for the above--has anyone else had this problem? Brand new camera, brand new lens from buydig.com...

Many Thanks
orion1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2005, 4:33 PM   #2

Sounds like you need to update the firmware. Go to the canon web site and get the latest patch:-

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos20d/e...irmware-e.html

Cheers,
Carl.
CarlsPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 6:34 PM   #3

Thanks...already updated. I'm more curious if this is an isolated problem or something all users should expect. I never received an error with my canon point and shoot
orion1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 8:00 PM   #4

orion1978 wrote:
Quote:
I've done searches for the above--has anyone else had this problem? Brand new camera, brand new lens from buydig.com...

Many Thanks
Is Error 99 anything to do with a lens? I was browsing my images with the 20D (with no lens attached) plugged into a TV and I got an error 99. I had to take the batteries out to clear it.
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 11:51 PM   #5

I've been experiencing err99 with my rebel. I can't isolate the problem but I all I need to do is turn off/on the camera and it comes back. From what I have read in reviews and other comments it may a lens contacts issue. Apparently Canon has replaced a few rebels for the problem. Unfortunately mine is no longer in warranty. I plan to clean the sensors and see what happens before I send it in for service. Did you ever solve the problem?
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 11:58 PM   #6

I do believe an error 99 is a lens communication error. I may be wrong. My error code pdf (downloaded from Canon) is on my confuser at home.

If so it can be caused by a defective lens, or dirty contacts in the lens or lens mount. Or a firmware that doesn't understand the lens you are trying to use. :?

This is next to usless I did a quick search of the Canon Canada knowledge base:

Error Code Solution
Err 01 Clean the lens contacts. (See the User's Guide supplied with your camera for the cleaning method.)
Err 02 There is a problem with the CF card. Please perform one of the following actions:
a) Remove the CF card and then reinstall it.
b) Format the CF card.
c) Try using another CF card.
Err 03 There are too many folders stored on the CF card. Replace the CF card with another formatted CF card.
Err 04 The CF card is full. Erase any unnecessary images or replace the CF card with a CF card with sufficient space.
Err 05 Something obstructed the built-in flash's pop-up operation. Turn the camera off and then on again.
Err 99 Perform either of the following actions:
a) Turn the camera off and then on again.
b) Remove the battery pack and then reinstall it.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 1:43 AM   #7

I got the error 99 message on my Rebel xt when using the 28-135 IS lens. I would shoot one frame and the error would come up. I would shoot another frame and the same thing this happened over and and over again. When I got home None of the shots I made with the lens made it to the CF card. Has anyone else had this problem. I ran a roll though the Elan 7 and it worked fine the photos had no problem. Anyone else had this problem?? I will try again and take out the battery and see if that works.......
epocenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 7:11 PM   #8

I've been having this problem with my rebel 300D. I first experienced it when I switched lenses and I do think it was the 28-135 IS. But it has persisted even with my 17-40L and the 18-55 kit lens. Some times after every few shots sometimes after 150 shots. I really can't pinpoint the problem. I turn the camera off and on its fine for a while. Shot 150 quick shots with and without flash today and no problems.

From my research at the forums it seems tooccur with lens to camera communication. But can't swear to it.

I contacted Canon and all they say is send it in for service. I am not ready to do that yet, maybe after a few more days of problems. Purchased 20D yesterday to ensure I have a camera available.

Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 8:52 PM   #9

I had the same problem. Shot around 500 pics and got the error 99 code. Did what the book said about taking the battery out and putting it back in to clear the problem and it didn't fix a thing. Took the camera and all back to my dad who works at Sears and got a new one for it. It was around 5 months old and I bought the extended warranty so if this one does that same thing I will just get my money back and buy a different one.

:|
irishfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 12:50 AM   #10

I have run the 28-135 IS test on my new XT. In review... The first body I got gave me an error 99 message everytime I used the lens and no image ever made it to the CF card.... I tried it on the new camera(XT had to return first one due to dead pixel) and this is what I found.... I used the lens with no IS. The photo worked!!! I used the lens with IS, the photo worked. I used the camera with the pop up flash...... Error 99... dam it. Take out battery repeat same results... I am wondering if a firmware update will fix it, I have sent the info to canon.
epocenter is offline   Reply With Quote