Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 27, 2005, 12:02 AM   #1

First, I'd like to thank Steve for this awesome site!!! (this being my first post)

Now, for my question... I know it isn't out yet, but the 350D looks like it will be slightly better than the Nikon D70. Am I correct?

I am in the market for a DSLR but I'm not going to buy one for at least a month. I've used a 300D but had my eye on the D70 because of some of the extra features (not that I would ever use them...but..well). With current rebates the D70's price is still more than the expected 350D's, but the difference isn't enough for me to consider it.

Anyway, the 350D looks like it has closed the feature gap and surpasses the D70 with resolution and, possibly, clarity/noise.

Anyone have thoughts on this?
ccfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2005, 12:17 AM   #2

You're probably right. The 350D will be slightly better than the Nikon. I went with the 20D over Nikon partly because of the price of Nikon lenses. They seem to be much more expensive than similar Canon lenses, so the money you save on the camera will be eaten up on the lenses. The CMOS sensor is the way to go, even Nikon agrees with that. You'll pay list on the 350D for a while making price shopping easy.

Henry
hkrautter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 1:49 AM   #3

ccfoo wrote:
Quote:
First, I'd like to thank Steve for this awesome site!!! (this being my first post)

Now, for my question... I know it isn't out yet, but the 350D looks like it will be slightly better than the Nikon D70. Am I correct?

I am in the market for a DSLR but I'm not going to buy one for at least a month. I've used a 300D but had my eye on the D70 because of some of the extra features (not that I would ever use them...but..well). With current rebates the D70's price is still more than the expected 350D's, but the difference isn't enough for me to consider it.

Anyway, the 350D looks like it has closed the feature gap and surpasses the D70 with resolution and, possibly, clarity/noise.

Anyone have thoughts on this?
The Nikon D70 is a good camera, but you are right the 350D/XT is (will be when released) better. The XT turns on in the blink of an eye (0.2s) and it uses an APS-C sensor similar to the 20D, coupled with a DIGIC II processor used in the pro-end 1D Mark II and 1Ds Mark II. The sensor has a built-in Noise Reduction Circuit to reduce image noise at high ISOs, which is a major plus. The DIGIC II processor allows for better image quality, faster processing and less power consumption. The 350D also has user selectable autofocus modes and metering modes that were not on the 300D. I personally prefer the image quality of Canon over Nikon, but you can't go wrong with either. I will be purchasing an XT or a 20D soon.
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 12:48 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Except that....

By all accounts the 350D is even lighter and smaller than the 300D. The image quality is essentially equal between the 300D and the D70, so the 350D will have better image quality.

However most prefer the handling of the D70 to the 300D and by inference even more so to the 350D.

I have a 20D both for image quality and handling, but I would have chosen the D70 over the 300D. It's a harder choice for the 350D, my view would be that the 350D is better in most ways, but if you don't like the way it feels....
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 3:47 PM   #5
kex

the d70 has a faster flash sync than the canon.
it got the same fps as the 350d (3fps).

on the other hand the 350d will have 8mp.. but well. that's not a big advantage over the nikon d70.

Quote:
The XT turns on in the blink of an eye (0.2s)

the nikon too.

But I think you will be happy with whatever you chose. both are great cams.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 5:50 PM   #6

I've always been prejudiced against the Nikon viewfinders. For some reason, I feel like I'm looking down a tunnel.

And the image is not very bright in the viewfinder either.

Nikon'sfaster 1/500th flash synchro is an advantage over the canon 1/250th.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 6:34 PM   #7

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
By all accounts the 350D is even lighter and smaller than the 300D. The image quality is essentially equal between the 300D and the D70, so the 350D will have better image quality.
Eh? That didnt make much sense are you saying the 350D will have better quality than the Nikon D70, but worse quality than the original 300D, or the other way around, or if its equal between the 300D/D70, how is it better than one or the other?
kb244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 7:34 PM   #8

kb244 wrote:
Quote:
peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Eh? That didnt make much sense are you saying the 350D will have better quality than the Nikon D70, but worse quality than the original 300D, or the other way around, or if its equal between the 300D/D70, how is it better than one or the other?
I think what he meant was that the D70 and 300D have the same image quality, and the 350D will have better quality than the 300D and hence the 350D will have better quality than the D70.

Image quality:
D70=300D, but 350D>300D,
hence 350D>D70
Old Feb 27, 2005, 7:38 PM   #9

Although this is a good take on the situation of comparing the 300D, D70 and 350D, I disagree a little. If it was based on a point system, where each camera received points for image quality, and for ranking purposes only it would be:

20D - 8.5 points
350D - 7 points
300D - 5 points
D70 - 4 points
Old Feb 27, 2005, 8:04 PM   #10

Ponin,

Why would you rank the 350D below the20D in points, if they both use the same sensor?
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote