Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 27, 2005, 1:49 AM   #1

How is the 20D performace in Auto Mode? I am looking to purchase either the 20D or the Rebel XT. I am a novice photographer but take lots of pictures. I had a 35mm SLR before I bought my Canon G3. I love that camera but am looking to get a DSLR. I want to learn more and do more with the Camera but will be taking most of my pictures in Auto until I learn more about it. I take mostly outdoor pictures, some sports events, and very little indoors. 90% of my pictures is on vacation so it's scenic, nature photographs mostly.

From most of the research I have done, it looks like both are going to be fairly similar in Auto Mode. It looks like the current Rebel has settings to make the photos appear a little sharper. Not overly concerned about that. Just want something that is going to take decent pictures, preferebly not worse than my G3.

I would appreciate any advice. Not concered about the budget aspect of the 20D vs. the Rebel. Just want the right camera and I do like the extra bursting rate and the AF features of the 20D. Just want some assurance about it in Auto.

Thanks in advance
SuperJeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2005, 6:44 PM   #2

Look at the 10D - just picked up a factory demo (essentially new) with a 1 yr warranty for $799 (body kit only) Unless you are printing super big photos, you really don't need 8 mp. The 10D has the metal body and feel (actually a bit bigger) of the 20D and takes amazing photos! It cannot compare to a point and shoot - much faster, better low light focus, lens options etc. I plan on keeping my S1 (for just running about town, occasions where I might risk/damage the SLR, etc.) but the SLR is the way to go.

Check WWW.cameta.com they have an ebay store with 38,000+ positve feedback 99.8% - thats where I got mine, highly reccomend them!
Geeeyejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 6:44 PM   #3

BTE, (getting back to your original question) the auto mode on the 10D is quite excellent too!
Geeeyejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 10:57 PM   #4

350XT. $899 body brand new. Much more advanced than the 10D more pixels etc. for
$100 more. Go with current tech. The 10D is a beast to carry around and is slow.
RedHouse is offline   Reply With Quote