Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:58 AM   #1

Hi,

I'm a freelance photo-journalist who's mannaged not to go digital yet. (except for a G5)
Earlier this month I've been lucky to get 3 assignments at once that will keep me bussy for the next 10 months. For all 3 jobs I need to deliver digital files ( 25MB )....in total over 300 pictures. It only took a little maths to calculate that the costs of buying film, developing, scanning,..would easely set me back the price of a Proffesional Dslr body. The question now is which one should I buy.

I've been using a Leica M and Nikon F3 - Fm2's (with old manual lenses). This means that I'll probably also have to buy new lenses but it still gives me the choice to go Nikon or Canon.
I know both brands are equally good and that the difference between lens quality is almost nihil. After some initial research I was ready to buy the Eos 1dmarkII. I was told that the Ds markII was a bit slow and aimed at studio photography.
Nikon's D2h was not in the picture since the resolution is to low.
But,....now there is the D2x which seems to be excacly what I was looking for. There are only a few cons: When will it be available (I live in Belgium) and I need to start with these jobs by the end of March, is swapping between 12MP and 6MP with a push on the button working as good as it sounds? Last is that I usually take wide-angle pictures and I would defenitly buy a 17-35 lens which on it's widest is 'only' 25mm with Nikon and 23 mm with Canon.

Thank you,

bram
Mr.Fixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2005, 1:37 PM   #2
-jb

Canon's 1Ds Mark II is full frame, so your 17mm wide angle would be 17mm.

The 1D Mark II is a 1.3 multiplier, so your 17mm lens would be 22mm.

In the Canon world, the small "s" makes quite a bit of difference.

I have no idea when Nikon's new camera will be available.

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 3:13 PM   #3

What type of photography will you be doing? Without that info, suggesting which camera is like answers to the question "what car should I buy?"

Without knowing what you'll do with the car (drive to work? Haul hay? Move Gravestones? Move Dogs? Take a 10 kid soccer team to games?) the answers are close to useless. You say your a photo-journalist, which could mean you do more action-like stuff... but we both know that that might not be true.

What I can say is that both the 1D MkII and the 1Ds MkII are amazing cameras. If you do a lot of wide angle high resolution shots get the 1Ds MkII. If you shoot a lot of action, clearly the 1D MkII is the better choice. If you are between you have to decide which matters more. High resolution or high FPS.

I expect the D2x to be a great camera. If you were able to get it before you needed to start shooting, I'd suggest you look at that seriously. The savings in lenses would be great.

Also, don't forget the hard disk and backup requirements that you'll have. Make sure you have a plan for dealing with all those images before you start to deal with them.

If you're on a PC, I recommend you look at the management program IMatch. Or Extensis Portfolio (which in your line of work you might already know about.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 4:44 PM   #4

well here is a funny thread about the 1Ds Mk2 Vs the D2X

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ad.php?t=59989
kb244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 6:46 PM   #5

Forget camera capability... think lenses. The great camera body race will go on. I have a Canon 20D, my first DSLR. I settled on Canon, simply because there are more lenses available. Lens "bargains" don't really exist, except perhaps for the EF-50/1.8.

Figure out what you want to do with a camera, research the available lenses (including cost) then look at "crop factor". Low end Canons have a 1.6 crop, mid-range ones, 1.3. Lower end Nikons have a 1.5 crop factor.

The cost of full frame cameras is really high... on the order of $6000 to $8000.

The 25MB file size isn't a very good benchmark. A CR2 file from a 20D can be saved as a TIFF that approaches that size. Convert it using Genuine Fractals can be much bigger.

Waiting for the next camera body isn't wise... if you're really ready to move, pick a camera manufacturer and lenses you need then choose a body.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 1:33 PM   #6

Thanx for the replies.
To answer Eric S question. My work is very varied. Mainly social reportage and travel photography. At the moment I've got one job where i've got to make over 100 portraits, for another one I've got to take aerial shots of a city and another one is more commercial (medium format) for decorating a shop,...
Generaly I would not say that I'm an action photographer but I would like a very fast and responsive dSLR. (who doesn't?)
The Eos 1Ds markII does not fit into my budget though.
The lenses I already own are not really important because they are all AI manual Nikkor lenses which would not work very well with the D2x.
Mr.Fixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 5:20 PM   #7

If you want a single camera that can do the job of a medium format camera you have only one choice. The 1Ds MkII. MF can still do a better job, but only on larger prints.

And since the frame is the same size as a film negitive, you won't have to relearn the FOV of the camera.

I don't know how fast it turns on or wakes from sleep. But it is my understanding that it is responsive. Sure it doesn't have the same AF speed as the 1D MkII, but no other camera in the world does! If should be equal to any film camera you had before this.

You could always rent one on your day off and play with it. It sounds like you have the experience to say if you like it or not very quickly.

As ot the D2x, I've read some posts from people who will be getting it today or tomorrow. So while its out, I'm not sure you could just call up and get one... at least, not without some luck on your side.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 6:23 PM   #8

i was lucky enough to shoot with a D2x a while back. it is an excellent camera. now i also own both a 1Dm2 and a1Dsm2. i shoot news with the 1Dm2. the 1Dsm2 is my field camera.

1- do you have an investment in nikkor or nikon mount lenses? if you do you will still have to reevaluate your lenses to match the 1.5x 2x factors

2- you are aware that at full res the D2x is a 5fps camera and only at the 2x crop it is a 8fps and down to 6MP.

3- on the flip side when shooting with a 1dm2 in raw mode you are buffer limited to about 12 images at 8fps so if raw is your thing you better be setup to get the shot. shooting jpg does change that though but of couse there is a caveat there too. depending on the type and quality of jpg you are shooting you buffer size will vary in size down to 18 shots or so at highest res lowest compression. compromizes will be made.

4- there is a weight difference between the canons and the D2x the nikon being fairly lighter and less bulky. same with the lenses. i consider the nikon to be ergonomically superior to the canons but then i used the F5 for many years previous to my change over. this of course is a personal thing. you will adapt if you go that way.

5- your lens choices wil be driven by your needs. i have the 16-35 2.8, 24-70.28, and 70-200 2.8 IS and a 1.4x converter. i also have access to a 400 2.8 when needed.

6- i can tell you that the canons produce a excellent image over a wider iso range vs the nikon. i shoot regularly at iso 1000 with minimal or no noise reduction post processing.

http://www.pbase.com/crusader/image/39838682 iso 800

http://www.pbase.com/crusader/image/39964463 iso 800

http://www.pbase.com/crusader/image/39263760 iso 1000

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 1:34 AM   #9

sjms,

Question: have you ever noticed any unusual focus behavior in your 1Dm2? e.g., on a tripod, certer spot focus on an object and noticed that wide angle lenses - the 16-35 f2.8 or 24-70 f2.8 - can't focus on the oject the same way twice out of 10 frames (all 10 images are focused differently - and none correctly)?

I am on my second 1Dm2 body and now it's having this problem, too. So looks like it'll be #3. Now I am thinking I don't want the 1Ds Mk II since it shares the focus system.

And yes, other bodies I own focus fine with the same lenses, same tripod setup, smae object, same settings, both film and digital. Its the 1Dm2 that is having fits.

Tim

http://www.tmargeson.net/FocusProblem/ImagesOnly.pdf

TDM_Canon_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 10:18 AM   #10

i have yet to use spot focus ther thenthe auto function that kicks in with a tele lens.

get this pdf from canon. it is very good.

http://www.photoworkshop.com/canon/EOS_Digital.pdf

it has suggested setups for the camera

i have personally reduced my AF points from 45 to 11 (CFn-13-1,2)

expanded my AF point to 7 then to 13 (CFn-17-2) pg72 of manual

this is as intuitive as calculus unlike my nikon F5.

i control the AF using the * button pg 11 of the pdf this allows me to not be constantly hunting even in AI mode.

in short there probably nothing wrong with the body/AF but your technique must adapt to the cameras operation. you will not get 10 perfects i know. the above pdf will help quite a bit. print it.

do not be afraid of high iso shooting a regularly shoot at 1000 and higher for sports

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote