Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 1, 2005, 2:17 PM   #1

Yes I know another question about what lenses and everyone is different,but...

I am looking in 3 areas,Wildlife(telephoto)Macro and a regular lens for landscapes and a general keep on the camera type of lens. I'm not coming into this without a lot of research but other more experienced users opinions are always highly valued.

I would like to keep the lens cost to around $1000 - $1500 and here are my picks so far but are not limited to just these:

Canon 28-135IS General keep on the camera lens.

Canon 50 1.8 Because its so inexpensive and a good value

Tamron 28-75 2.8XRDI Good value for the money and sharp

Canon 70-200 F4 and 1.4 converter Hopefully with magnification factor long enough for wildlife

These are my choices for lenses,not all of them but I'm looking for the best i can get for the money,which is why I haven't included any 70/75-300 zooms.Not there that bad but.Would love to get my hands on a Canon 300 F4 but there not available new any more except for the IS version which is pretty steep.I figure I almost cover that with the 70-200 and 1.4 converter though

So let me know what your choices are and what mine would be with what I have chosen for lenses,or let me know just why you might or might not pick what I have picked.In other words let me know what YOU think!

Bsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2005, 2:28 PM   #2

:-)The Sigma 100-300 F4 is close to the price of the Canon 70-200 F4, It is a highly rated lens and with a 1.4 converter gets you a 420mm F5.6

http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#Ztelel

It would be my choice if I was looking for a lens in this range/speed again.

Peter.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 2:40 PM   #3
Super Moderator

My convoluted journey can be followed in earlier threads:

Cunningly Original Question
Cunningly Original Question Mk II
Cunningly Original Purchase

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...82&forum_id=65
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...81&forum_id=65
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...01&forum_id=65

There is of course no perfect solution - which is part of the fun really.

Good luck. :-)
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 6:25 PM   #4

Bsmooth wrote:
Quote:
I am looking in 3 areas,Wildlife(telephoto)Macro and a regular lens for landscapes and a general keep on the camera type of lens.
If those are your three needs (wildlife, all-around and landscape) then I think the 28-135 meets your all-around needs (it's what I use).

The Tamron is covering similar range to the 28-135 (i.e. it doesn't buy you anything from a range perspective it just gets you the extra stops). According to your needs above the extra stops won't really help you for wildlife on this short of a lense or in landscape. So the question is whether or not your all-around use will benefit from it.

As for the 70-200 4.0 with teleconverter. I would either suggest the Sigma 70-200 2.8 with teleconverter or Sigma 100-300 4.0 if you feel you would always have the teleconverter on.

None or your lenses is ideal for landscape - the 28-135 will serve but if you do a lot of landscape you will probably want something wider.

My suggestions:

Canon 28-135 ($400) for all purpose

Canon kit lense for landscape ($100)

Sigma 100-300 ($810) or Sigma 70-200 ($690) plus 1.4x ($170) if you want flexibility in your telephoto

Total cost around $1300
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 4:10 AM   #5
Super Moderator

The 17-85 isn't too different in price to the 18-55 kit + 28-135 and is of superior quality to 28-135 and far superior to the 18-55.

It will serve as a landscape and good walk-around lens. I have a bunch of photos in landscape forum with that lens if you're interested.

For wildlife I'd suggest the sigma 70-200 f2.8 + 1.4TC.

Combined will be less than $1500.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote