Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 3, 2005, 9:23 PM   #11

Notice on the Rob Galbraith site that the "new" Sandisk Ultra II cards have nowhere near the performance of the original Sandisk Ultra II cards. I believe the design of the cards were changed in late 2004 (someone that has better info may be able to comment).

They are still a pretty good card, and for most of us using a 20D there is enough buffer that you can't tell the difference between a slow and fast card anyways.

However, if you're cranking away in continuous drive mode you're going to need a fast card such as the Sandisk Extreme III or the Lexar 80X Write Acceleration 2nd edtition.

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 10:44 PM   #12

i hope your not reading the "new" ultra thinking its the ultra2 . that card came out 2 years ago. that was the original ultra card.the ultra 2 replaced that one.

there is no performance difference in theultra 2itself. its advertised capability is still 9MB write 10-11MB read.the variations are due to the cameras capabilitity to write to the card. in the case of the 1Dmk2 the new firmware almost doubled the speed of the sandisk Ultra 2 rates from 3.8 to 7.0 MB/s there isn't a camera on market that transfers higher then 7.4Mb/s into any card and i use that oneof the 2 iwork with

those cards will make no difference at all. the camera is the limiting factor. essentially they all work about the same especially on cameras like the rebel rebel xt and 20D. the only realword differens is on the 1Ds2 and 1D2 bodies

example using the 20D and a 1GB card

if a sandisk ultra 2 can deliver a jpg transfer of 5.007 MB/s on a 20D

and a extreme 3 delivers jpg at 5.024 MB/s and then a lexar pro 80x sec ed delivers 5.034 MB/stheyare notto the ultra 2 when they all give the same performance give or take 0.5%?:shock:

[align=center]
[/align]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 11:04 PM   #13

I agree, if the numbers haven't changed then there isn't a significant difference.

However, I read some posts on the Canon POTN forum where someone explained that the latest Ultra II cardsmay beslower than the ones the Rob Galbraith site originally reviewed. Supposedly as of the end of 2004 the cards are manufactured differently yet carry the same name. Could be a rumour ... and Rob Galbraith hasn't re-reviewed them yet.

Personally I have two that I purchased at the end of 2004 and doubt if I would notice the difference between them and a standard Sandisk card since I don't often shoot in continuous mode.

Bob

BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 11:36 PM   #14

the new ultra 2 models use mlc or multi level cell technology. less expensive but they also have added speed to them so that they match the original single level cell performance of the original ultra 2 but as you can see the price point has been going down. my original 2gb ultra 2 cards averaged out at $215 a piece. the newer ones are as low as $165 a piece and still maintain the same performance

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-6461-7367

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ad.php?t=60034

there is an issue here in that the person that started the thread is under the assumption that the product has been diminished by the use of MLC but obviously has no idea truely. also his assumption of only a $20 difference has also been nullified by it currently being $40 so far in the 2gb model. i actually see the price of the ultra settling at about $150 for 2gb. now sandisk also claims no difference in the speed between the old and new ultra 2s and i would tend to believe them since they have a lot riding on the product since it has been their best seller. some people are unwilling to accept changes. if you want high performance and a lower price something has to change.

another problem in these forums is the lack of back up data but the abundance of "i heard" "i read somewhere" " there might be" or "may be". i know its hard to believe what you read today.

i do shoot high speed most of the time. it is the bad habit of shooting sports for money

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote