Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 2, 2005, 2:53 AM   #1

I have been looking at the Canon XT and have decided to buy it when it comes out on the 20th. This will be my first DSLR and my question is what all should I get to go along with the XT? I have a few Canon lenses so for the time being I will use those along with the kit lens, but what about a CF card. I was looking at the Lexar 80x, but I'm still not sure. Also regarding filters has anyone ever used Adorama filters? I was thinking of getting one of there close up filter sets, although I'm not sure about the quality. This is one of those things that there is so much to choose from, and I have no clue what to get. So if anyone has suggestions about a good lens, external flash, CF card or anything you find useful please let me know! Thanks ahead of time!
Flame
P.S: After seeing the XT reviews I might be a little more of a Canon nut then a Minolta nut :lol: LOL
Minolta_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2005, 8:56 AM   #2

The Lexar 80x card is a very good card. SanDisk also makes some good cards.

When you say "close up filter set" what exactly do you mean? Do you mean something that you screw-on to a lens that allows you to focus much closer?

I bet that Adorama buys their filters from someone else and "re-brands" them. I don't know who's they use.

To do close-up work (macro) you have two choices. Get a dedicated macro lens, or buy a close-focusing add-on lens.

If you want to do closeup work, I would suggest the Canon close-focusing lens. I forget the name, but it's a screw-on lens that will give you lots of magnification (I think they have more than one, actually.) They work well, but not as well has a dedicated macro lens. Make sure it will fit the lenses that you own, though.

A true macro lens is much better. It will produce much higher quality results at more cost and more size.

Both Canon and Sigma make very good flashes. Its all a question of how much power (and size and weight and cost) you want.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 11:24 AM   #3
NHL

FYI - Close-up/Diopter
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 1:32 PM   #4

What I meant by a close up filter set was something like this: http://www.adorama.com/MCCUS58.html This one is a Tiffen but they also had an Adorama one although I can't seem to be able to find it. I think after a while I will get a macro lens but for the moment once I buy the XT, and some other mist accessories the price really does adds up. So I thought I would use this as a cheaper alternative for a macro lens until I can afford a good one. Then also once I get a good one I will be able to focus that much closer. The other thing about having a +1, +2, and +4 it's nice to be able to adjust how much magnification you actually get. For a flashes what is a good one for a reasonable price? Maybe around $200 at max. My biggest thing when looking at stuff on the web is, is it good quality? That's what really gets me. So you would suggest a Lexar 80x? I was looking at getting a 1gb Lexar 80x and then maybe a 512mb Sandisk Ultra II or a 512mb 40x (not sure on the brand yet). Oh also on a UV filter… How about a B+W UV filter? http://www.adorama.com/BW58UV.html or http://www.adorama.com/BW58UVM.html I thought for the UV I would go a lot better quality since every picture I take would be going through that, and it also protects my eye as well as the camera. Out of the two I picked which do you think is better? I am kind of leaning toward the multi. coated one, but it also is $30. Guess that is what I will need to pay for a good UV. Well thanks for the help.
Flame
Old Mar 2, 2005, 2:30 PM   #5

diopter lenses are handy even if you have a macro lens. They are easier to carry than a full macro lens. So if you're not sure what you are going to shoot that day, you can bring the diopter add-on lenses instead of the macro lens and lighten your load.

B+W does make some good lines of filters. Personally, I'd get the multi-coated one, but that is me. Its always a question of cost vs. quality vs. your standards. For some people it wouldn't matter... they'd be happy with the output of the cheaper filter so the more expensive wouldn't be worth it.

Make sure that the diopter lens will fit the lens you have. They have a certain size. Also, I've read that they work well on zooms because that effectively lets you get closer or further as well. So that might reduce the need for the more powerful ones.

Personally, I'd recommend the 80x Lexar. I'm happy with it, but I've got the 20D, which can take advantage of its extra speed.

How powerful a flash do you need? What will you do with it? (how far away is the subject? how big a subject?) Wireless? That stuff. That should guide you to which flash you want.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 2:39 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Don't get them started on flashes!

They'll hound you with good advice until you get one of these:

http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/flash/500super.htm

I ordered mine today.

:?
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 3:35 PM   #7

Minolta_nut wrote:
Quote:
Oh also on a UV filter… How about a B+W UV filter? http://www.adorama.com/BW58UV.html or http://www.adorama.com/BW58UVM.html I thought for the UV I would go a lot better quality since every picture I take would be going through that, and it also protects my eye as well as the camera. Out of the two I picked which do you think is better? I am kind of leaning toward the multi. coated one, but it also is $30. Guess that is what I will need to pay for a good UV. Well thanks for the help.
Flame
Its always a good idea to get the Best UV you can afford, since 99% of your pics will be taken through that filter.
crappy filter=crappy pictures :G
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 2:03 PM   #8

KM_krazy wrote:
Quote:
Its always a good idea to get the Best UV you can afford, since 99% of your pics will be taken through that filter.
crappy filter=crappy pictures :G
Absolutely! Couldn't agree more. :-D

Oh, and yeah, the Sandisk Ultra II looks good. If your budget allows, have a look at the Extreme III. I figure since you will keep a card for a long time, may as well spend a little more since the Extreme is meant to take a beating.
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 6:01 PM   #9

Ponin wrote:
Quote:
If your budget allows, have a look at the Extreme III. I figure since you will keep a card for a long time, may as well spend a little more since the Extreme is meant to take a beating.
I was looking at the Extreme III but heard that the Lexar 80x actually is better even though the extreme III is a 133x. I'm not sure about this though. That's just what I heard. Has anyone else heard the same? Thanks for the advice though Ponin. I may look into the Extreme III if not just for how well it works in cold weather. This might be a good thing since I like in Alaska.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 8:28 PM   #10

Minolta_nut wrote:
Quote:
Ponin wrote:
Quote:
If your budget allows, have a look at the Extreme III. I figure since you will keep a card for a long time, may as well spend a little more since the Extreme is meant to take a beating.
I was looking at the Extreme III but heard that the Lexar 80x actually is better even though the extreme III is a 133x. I'm not sure about this though. That's just what I heard. Has anyone else heard the same? Thanks for the advice though Ponin. I may look into the Extreme III if not just for how well it works in cold weather. This might be a good thing since I like in Alaska.
so far we have no data on the performance of any card in the XT and probably won't until the end of the month. i really don't think there is going to ba a vast speed improvement but there will be one possible in the 3+MB/s region. that will depend on many factors that will be limited by its price.

here are the hard facts on the real world performance (without the 80x 133x PR jobs) of the current crop of cards in the Dslr field:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

the Dreb, 20D, 1Dmk2, and 1Dsmk2 are all there with all the cards and timings with JPG and RAW.

by far the Ex3 will be overkill and of course if you wish to spend the money its yours to spend. at an average of 10% higher speed for in most cameras at the high end and less then 2-3% increase at the lower end camera types. this card was designed for models like the 1Dmk2 or 1Dsmk2 in addition to the D2x. there is where it does its stuff with transfers of 7-7.5MB/s. in the DReb it doesno better then any of the other upper end cards including the ultra 2 or the lexar pro 80x. but then that in that camera. go up to the 20D and they all are in the same class too.

as to cold weather performance. i have shot with my 1Dsmk2 at -10 deg ambient outside temp extended with ultra 2 cards and there is no performance penelty other then my finger tips. these specs are there to entice but in the real world they are pretty irrelevent cause from experience all the upper level cards perform well there its the cameras that start to get cranky.

i do have an (1) Ex3 2gb card and (5) 2gb ultra 2 cards $40 difference for a miniscule increase in performance. not worth it. if there was only a $15 difference maybe. by the way the warranty on a ultra 2 and a Ex3 is identical. should it fail it is either repaired or replaced plain and simple

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote