Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 2, 2005, 9:46 AM   #1

Hello,

I just downloaded and installed the Hacked firmware for the canon digital rebel.

The question i have is for the Raw+JPEG Custom Function.

I thought that the camera when in this mode is supposed to create both a RAW and JPEG File. However, no matter what option i select RAW+ Lage, RAW + Medium, ect.

It will only give me a RAW file. However the file sizes are different.

I took the same picture twice, and used Manual Mode so that all the specs were the same.

But when i compared the file sizes between these two settings:
RAW + Large (High Quality) JPEG AND
RAW + Small (High Quality) JPEG

I get the following sizes
6.8MB for the first and 5.2MB for the second.

Is there a JPEG "embedded" in the file?

If so, how do i extract it?

If i open the RAW file in Photoshop CS, it will open the raw file, and after i edit it and apply all of the exposure, contrast, ect, and click OK, it edited the RAW file, and then goes into the MAIN Adobe Photoshop window with the Image open. Is this the RAW or JPEG image?

I'm not sure if i've made this clear, but if there is anyone with information on this, i would much appreciate it.

-Travis-
tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2005, 10:16 AM   #2

i think that the camera that the firmware was designed for (10D) was able to support this feature and that the Rebel is not able to support the feature.

i have the same issues with my rebel, but when i go to work i will try the same thing on our 20D and see what happens
lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 11:00 AM   #3
NHL

tswen wrote:
Quote:
Is there a JPEG "embedded" in the file?

If so, how do i extract it?
Unlike the other cameras, the jpeg is embedded in the RAW file on the DRebel and 10D!

The Canon CD included with your camera is one of the software capable of reading this 'jpeg'...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 11:39 AM   #4

I got the hack mainly for this reason, so that I could set Raw+Small , to save file size when shooting raw, if you already got the raw data, why do you need to use the embeded jpeg? Oh and btw if you open the .crw in Photoshop CS you are working with the raw portion, you wouldnt be able to change the white balance, exposure, shadow detail, etc if it was the jpeg.
kb244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 12:18 PM   #5

Hello,

Thank you all for the information.

I wonder why Canon doesn't just give the option to shoot RAW WITHOUT JPEG.
I have never understood this, because if you are shooting RAW, my thought here is that you are going to convert this to whatever format you want, whether it be TIFF, JPG, PSD, ect.

Is there anyway to turn off the embedded JPG?

-Travis-
tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 1:10 PM   #6
NHL

kb244 wrote:
Quote:
... if you already got the raw data, why do you need to use the embeded jpeg?
On location one can review the jpeg's RAW with the LCD display built-into some portable HD devices - the small 'jpeg' only show up as thumbnail whereas one can zoom in with the larger 'jpeg'.
http://www.smartdisk.com/Products/Di.../FlashTrax.asp

With RAW only then there'll be no display of the actual pictures, but just the files only... ie no review mode except with a laptop/computer
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 2:22 PM   #7

Theres a thumbnail file embeded into the raw already, the larger jpeg is a seperate attachment. And canon didnt have the raw only option until there were some people who exclusivly worked with raw with supporting software, many camera manufactures or going in that direction now.

And no you cant completely turn off the jpeg on the 300D. Also You can still get a thumbnail view on the LCD of the camera, maybe not on another portible device if you remove the embeded jpg, but why do you think the camera saves a .tbm or whatever that file is alongside with the .crw
kb244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 10:42 AM   #8
ret

On the 20D you do have the option to shoot RAW only.

If you select RAW plus JPG then you get two files with the same name just different types, CR2 and JPG.:-)
ret is offline   Reply With Quote