Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 4, 2005, 12:39 PM   #1

Welp, I gave in. At 7:59pm on March 3rd, I newborn Canon 20D was delivered to me. I couldn't resist the new boy toy. In just about 2 hours of shooting with it, wow....what a camera. I am not a professional, I just really enjoy taking pictures. My last vacation, I took about 1000 pictures. I travel alot and have a wall full of nice photos I am proud of. Probably more camera than I would ever need, but you know, I couldn't resist. I have lots to figure out with it still. I am coming from a G3 and it's been about 3 or 4 years since I used an SLR. How I missed the quickness. I missed so many shots with the G3. I love the G3, don't get me wrong. It will be in my bag at all times. It is a really nice camera, but a different animal. Like a cute Kitty Cat next to a leapard.

Anyway, wanted to say hello, and you might be seeing me around asking some stupid questions. I can't wait to dig in and really learn how to use this camera like it should be used!
SuperJeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2005, 1:23 PM   #2

I've had my 20D since late November. I have used Point and Shooters for about five years, concentrating on improving my photography. After about a thousand shots, I'm finally getting what I consider a good percentage of "keepers". The 20D presents some challenges and a steep learning curve, even to a non-beginner. It's a wonderful tool. It's a money sink... there's always a new lens that I really need.

Enjoy your camera.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 1:57 PM   #3

I agree. I expect it. The Digital SLR seems to be a little more of a beast than a 35mm film SLR. I am not overly concerned at this point. It will be fun learning it and I am exciting about learning more. I will be going on my next vacation in about a month and will be craming before I go.

Just out of curiosity, what does everyone think is a good "keeper" percent. Keepers, I mean by hang up on the wall be proud of keepers. I take lots of nice Photos, most I love showing to people. SO, I took 1000 pictures in Hawaii last month, I would say throw out 30% because I usually take more than 1 ofa particular shot if I can to try different exposures. Then out of those, I usually try and pick5 that I want to hang up on the wall, or even get blown up on some canvas. Just wondering what everyone's else "keeper" expectation is. I canimagine that there is quite a bigdifference between professional photographers vs hobby photographers as well.
SuperJeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 8:15 PM   #4

Superjeff,

I take about 100 shots at a sporting event (no continous shooting mode) and submit about 8 shots to the local newspaper. If I'm lucky, they will print anywhere from one to three shots in the paper. That's a "keeper" ratio in my books of about one keeper to every thirty shots.

I would say if you got one good "keeper" in twenty or thirty shots you'd be doing pretty good.

By saying "keeper", I mean a shot that could be worthy of an 8 x 10 enlargement or published in the local paper.

I used to wonder why all my shots didn't turn out like National Geographic, until I realized even the Nat Geo photographers took an incredible number of shots to end up with the 20-30 shotsthat go in the magazine. I think it works out to less than one "keeper" per day, and I'm pretty sure they shoot 5-10 rolls a day.

Obviously, the better photographer you are, the fewwer crap shots you'll take, and the more truly amazing ones you'll have as well.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote