Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 4, 2005, 5:06 PM   #1

Hi everyone,

The other day i got a 2.2gb Magicstor 2.2GB CF Microdrive.IT was very cheap and i coudnt resist.The problem im having is sometimes the camera will not power up with the drive inside.What i have to do i remove it ,start the camera without a card inside,turn it off put the drive back in and voala it starts.This happends with a charged battery.

Anyone had a similar problem with microdrives? or maybe its a bug with the 300D.I'm currently with the hacked firmware.

Here is the link to the drive http://www.gs-magicstor.com/english/...oduct_a_01.htm

I got it from ebuyer.com for 70 punds inc VAT
gaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2005, 6:21 PM   #2

Do you have the same problem with a CF card in the camera? If not, there's a problem with the microdrive. If the problem persists with the CF card, it's probably the camera. The answer might lie in the extremely low price of the microdrive. You have found a work-around, but long term there may be a problem.

I have a 1 GB CF in my 20D and seldom have space problems. I used it for a week away from home and it wasn't full when I returned. I shot a mix of JPGs (mostly) and RAW. The card cost $90 four months ago... probably cheaper today. The "bargain" might not be such a good deal, after all.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 6:32 PM   #3

no such problems with cf cards.I'm was thinking it was the higher startup current needed for the diskdrive to spinup,but it boots the second time around,so im not sure what the problem is.I need a little bit more space.i have 4x256 2x512 and 1x2.2.Sometimes its enough some other times it isnt.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 7:36 PM   #4
Administrator

gaida wrote:
Quote:
no such problems with cf cards.I'm was thinking it was the higher startup current needed for the diskdrive to spinup,but it boots the second time around,so im not sure what the problem is.I need a little bit more space.i have 4x256 2x512 and 1x2.2.Sometimes its enough some other times it isnt.
I've seen users on multiple forums report similar problems with Magicstor drives. It seems to have a particular dislike for Digital Rebels.

One of the most common theories is that it's drawing too much power. So, you may not be too far off in your assumptions.

In any event, Steve does not recommend them. See these forum threads:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...89&forum_id=37

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...95&forum_id=52

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...24&forum_id=52

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 7:44 PM   #5

i get the picture..poor choice i guess.I've read some posts on other forums and ppl report that the drive is fine in the 300D.Myabe problem with firmware.The current issue doesnt make much sense.If it needs too much power it wouldnt start every time.I believe it has something to do with the camera recognizing the drive.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 7:53 PM   #6
Administrator

That's just a theory (current draw) I've seen tossed around the forums quite a bit from users having problems with them.

The most common problem is that the drives continue to run after the camera is turned off (and you see some reports of corrupted images with them, too).

You may want to try seeing if they'll replace it (chances are, they've got some of the quirks worked out by now, so you may get a newer version of the drive that works with your camera).
Old Mar 4, 2005, 7:59 PM   #7

mine defenetly stops spinning,after a power down.I've found the same problem with my usb 2.0 card reader !Maybe 0.5A isnt enough.I'll return it and get a new one i guess.I tryed connecting the card reader to a ppowered usb2.0 hub aswell and got the same result.Something doggy with this drive.

P.S the card reader can read CF diskdrives.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 8:05 PM   #8
Administrator

Depending on your vendor, you may want to try for a refund versus a replacement and go with something like an Hitachi (which users seem to have fewer problems with).

Personally, I'd go with something solid state (no moving parts to worry about). ;-)

But, the microdrives do give you more megabytes per dollar.

Old Mar 4, 2005, 8:09 PM   #9

i could easily get a refund,the hitachi/ibm drive is twice the price,so thats out of the picture.I might end up getting 2x1gb cf cards instead.Just in case i'll fire an email to magicstore
Old Mar 5, 2005, 3:25 PM   #10

I, too, have one of the Magistore 2.2Gb drives, and have had the same problem. In fact, so much so, that I've "retired" it. Had the same problem with the same drive in my Sony DSC-F828, and my EOS 20D.

Anyone want to buy a slightly-used Magistore 2.2Gb microdrive? :-)
MitchInOmaha is offline   Reply With Quote