Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 5, 2005, 5:47 AM   #1

Is it a good practice to drain the Canon batteries entirely (or as near as you can get) before recharging them?

I have found that when the battery shows the "almost empty" signal on the camera it actually still has quite a bit of zap left in it. So should I try to drain it completely or is it OK to recharge it soon after it shows the recuced 'bar' on the cameras LCD display?

If I should try draining it totally what method is the best to use? I don't want to spend a full afternoon going around taking aimless pictures waiting for the camera to conk out! I have tried putting the camera in manual-mode and taking pictures with the flash while the lens-cap is still on, but that takes quite a bit of time too. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2005, 6:40 AM   #2
NHL

You don't need to drain the battery completly... the beauty of Lithium :idea:

Although if you want to, using the AF (non-USM) and especialy the IS function of the lenses will drain the battery faster since theses two features are the only moving mechanical parts left beside the shutter
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 9:34 AM   #3

I've even read the suggestion (not from a tester, but from a camera user) that you should always charge your battery up after use... no matter how far drained down it is. They felt that it was better for the battery... don't know if its true.

I know that I usually charge the battery before going out, if I know I'm doing out ahead of time. And my battery is going strong after a year. But if how I charge it is helping I don't know.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:10 AM   #4
NHL

FYI - http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 12:08 PM   #5

Interesting article NHL, it answered all my questions.

I was really wondering about 'battery memory' and whether the pack would start to lose capacity if I continually kept recharging after a partial discharge.....

..... short answer: No!

Great, no more slightly guilty conscience about mistreating my equipment. I was doing it right all along!
redundo is offline   Reply With Quote