Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 7, 2005, 9:13 AM   #1

When the flash is popped up, the AE lock button becomes the FE(flash exposure) button. The manual says to aim it at the area you want for exposure. I can't determine if aiming it at a bright area makes the flash fire that bright, or does the opposite, makes the flash fire less.

My problem is in a well lit room, I don't want the flash to fire full power, so do I set the FE for a darker or even brighter light? Anyone?
1958fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2005, 12:12 PM   #2

When you use the FEL, the camera will take a flash meter reading off the center focus point. You then have a short amount of time (I can't remember what it is but the manual will say) to recompose and shoot. This bypasses the evaluative metering used by ETTL which has a byass to whatever focus points you (or the camera if you are allowing it to choose the focus points) use. To answer your specific question, if you select a bright image the camera will think the scene is bright and does not need much flash. If you select a dark part of the image to set the FEL the camera will increase the flash's light output.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"A longer answer though is be careful what you select - selecting a very bright part (say a window in the corner of the image letting in sunlight) will produce under-exposed pictures. Your best bet is to select something more neutral to set FEL and not the extreme dark or light. If caucasian people are involved I will often take a FEL from flesh tones since faces are usually the most important aspect to expose correctly.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 12:32 PM   #3

Good advice. Thanks much.

I understand that it measures off the center focus point, and I am limited to about 8 seconds( unlees I hold the FEL button). I was at a concert in a well lit room, and took a picture of the singer and it was over-exposed. If I had known then touse the FEL, it may have tuned out better.

I'll give it a try.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 9:23 PM   #4

Ok, tried it. Worked real nice!! Thanks.

I think what I was doing, was trying an area too light or too dark. When aiming the center focus point at an area which is slightly to bright, it sets the flash perfectly, and the histogram shows no overexposure.