Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 7, 2005, 12:15 PM   #1

Hi, all. I have a Canon 20D with a 17-85mm lens. I'd like a prime lens that can offer better background blur. I'm debating between the 50mm 1.4 and the 85mm 1.8. I want to be relatively close to my subjects so I'm thinking that the 85mm would be better. However, with the cropping factor, would the 50mm be better?

Thanks, in advance, for your help!
niss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2005, 12:59 PM   #2

I have a 20D and the 50mm f/1.4 and have used it a little, but not enough to have a good feel for it's performance as of yet.

Not everyone feels this lens is a good pairing with the 20D. Check this out: http://www.canon-dslr.com/Canon_Jan0...Focus_Test.htm

I don't have enough experience with this pair to be able to either support or reject their claims.

-- Mitch
MitchInOmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 1:12 PM   #3

I just looked over the link -- thanks for that. I really appreciate your help!
Old Mar 7, 2005, 3:03 PM   #4

I have the 50mm f1.4 and love it for taking portraits of my daughter. I really like the results i get from it. For me it's the right length for shooting in my living room where i set up my impromptu studio. :| I've been thinking of picking up an 85mm 1.8 but would probably mainly use it for indoor sports stuff... i'm thinking the 85mm might be a little to long when you factor in the 1.6x (85mm becomes 136mm)

Here's some examples of from my 50 f1.4. I did a quick focus check an my copy appears to be dead on... :-)

Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 5:13 PM   #5

Mr Saginaw - what are you using for backdrop in the first two?

I am trying to learn how to do portraits of our kids, so my wife will stop spending all my lens money at "the picture people" studio in the mall. Surely I can do as well or better than those mall "studios". Her arguement is that I don't have a collection of backdrops like "they" do. So I am looking for good alternaives. Any feedback much appreciated.

DD
davedeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 5:21 PM   #6
-jb

Tell your wife that you will be able to take much better photographs of your children than a photo shop will. Your children will be far more comfortable with you and that will let you capture expressions that they would never show to a stranger.

Additionally, you will always be around and can capture many spur of the moment events that someone else could not.

My $.02 worth...

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 7:37 PM   #7

Ok... for the backgound in the first two I went down to the local fabric store and picked up about 10 feet of white fleece. Think it cost about $13. Hung it up on a wood pole held up by a couple of cheapy light stands. I then stuck one of my cheapy AC strobes behind and lit it from there... I had two other cheapy AC strobes in front that fired into umbrellas... I've never tried that setup before... I was very happy with the results! They were so good Ofoto refused to print them unless I got a copyright release form signed! :lol:
Old Mar 7, 2005, 9:05 PM   #8

Thanks for your advice -- terrific pictures! I'm concerned as well that the 85mm would be too long -- if I want to do a full shot I might be too far away from my subjects. Seems like the 50mm would be more versatile -- as long as I don't have to get in too close for just a headshot.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 9:32 PM   #9

to give you a general idea.... i think i was about 8 or 9 feet away when i took these... they have been cropped somewhat.. I haven't done any adult portraits with this lens yet... hmmmmm... adult portraits... let me rephrase... i have n't done any full size people pictures... :lol:
Old Mar 7, 2005, 9:36 PM   #10

-jb wrote:
Quote:
Tell your wife that you will be able to take much better photographs of your children than a photo shop will. Your children will be far more comfortable with you and that will let you capture expressions that they would never show to a stranger.

Additionally, you will always be around and can capture many spur of the moment events that someone else could not.

My $.02 worth...

-jb
I totally agree with this! There is a lot of truth to it! We've only taken our daughter to the studio once and that was because my wife wanted a Santa picture. :lol: She eventually smiled but it took quite a while and it was no where as nice of a smile as the happy smiles i get here at home where she is in familar surroundings!