Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:13 AM   #1

Is there any replacement for this coming up in the future. Eventually I'd love to upgrade to this from my 300D. I cant see any reason to upgrade to the new rebel, just a few more bells and whistles and a couple more mega-pixels does not seem worth the hassle. However a 20D or its next model would be a worthwhile purchase.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2005, 11:00 AM   #2

Well, I thought the same thing before I bought mine last week. The 10D was announced around Feb 03, and the 20D was around Aug 04. So, that's quite a bit of time between models. And most of what I read willsay that the difference between the 10D and 20D doesn't make an overwhelming case to upgrade. Of course, I am sure that's a matter of opinion. The 10D is a great camera though.

I would think that you would probably skip models here and there unless some big break through happens. Of course, the seasoned owners here could say something different.
SuperJeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 12:19 PM   #3

I guess you have to ask yourself what the 20D does that your Rebel doesn't do and whether the differences are worth the money to you. There will always be a new camera body coming out... the manufacturers want you to think you need the latest and greatest.

The 20D replacement will eventually be introduced, the only questions are "when?" and "what new features?"

I love my 20D (my first DSLR). It's very fast, smart and has great high ISO performance. I haven't used the high frame rate yet, except to try it out. It'll take me a long time to learn and take advantage of all the features of this camera. Since aladyforty has experience with the 300D, the learning curve won't be as steep as it has been for this old duffer :lol:.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 3:47 PM   #4

I upgraded last December from a DRebel to the 20D... For me it was well worth it and I have no regrets. It was money well spent. The one word that comes to mind with I think about the 20D is FAST! From the instant on to writing to the CF card... Here's what I wrote when I first got my 20D:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...20&forum_id=37
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 9:40 PM   #5

I cant justify an upgrade right now but I will look at it in the future. Im against getting the new Rebel XT as it is smaller than the Drebel and I prefer a bigger camera. Sounds a silly reason but its just my preference.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:15 PM   #6

I have them both; the 10D and the 20D. Once I got the 20D, I stopped using the 10D. Recently to prepare for a wedding job, I decided to do some shooting with the 10D. I had a really hard time readjusting to the 10D. It seemed very slow and the focusing wasn't responsive enough to get all the shots I wanted.The difference in the speed of focusing, photo review and buffer size makes this a worthwhile upgrade if you are planning on making a living shooting photos. There really isn't much more you can ask for for the money. Unless you are shooting professional sports or models, the 20Dis a top of the line camera. If I wasn't doing weddings and special events, I never would have upgraded from the 10D. (Ineeded a backup camera)

IMHO Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 12:52 PM   #7

is there a way to batch sharpen your photos with the 20D. do you have this problem? mine are all slightly fuzzy. i have ps-cs
shellyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 4:36 PM   #8

shellyd wrote:
Quote:
is there a way to batch sharpen your photos with the 20D. do you have this problem? mine are all slightly fuzzy. i have ps-cs
Look at "Actions" in the help. It's like a macro recorder. you can record actions in PS and then store them. You can then apply the actions recorded to a set of files.

Just record yourself sharpening a file then store that. It's very simple, but you can really go into depth with it if you need to.
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 3:38 PM   #9
Super Moderator

ultrasharpen pro, which is a plugin for all versions of photoshop has a nice batch sharpen utility that sharpens almost any picture well without annoying halo effects etc..

www.ultrasharpen.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote