Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 8, 2005, 2:19 PM   #1

Just ordered the 20D with the 18-55 off Costco.com. Payed a little more than B&H or Adorama but Costco has the best customer service and return policy around. Payed $1449 but unfortunetly had to pay tax. Also got a 1gb Sandisk Ultra II card.

Now comes the dreaded waiting game. I hope UPS takes care of my baby as it makes its journey to me.

For Lenses I will have: 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, Canon 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6, Canon 50mm f/1.8 and a Quantaray (Sigma?) 70-300mm f/4-5.6

Nothing special lens wise so that will be my next purchase. I really wanted to get the Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4.0-5.6 USM IS but with the body and card it was just too much for me right now.

Which lens would you buy next. I plan to do a whole range of stuff from walkaround to capturing my Neice play Softball and Basketball. Im thinking the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM. No "L" glass in this budget in the near future.
Bilbo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2005, 2:37 PM   #2

Congrats on the new camera!

I seen the word basketball... which usually means indoor sports... which mean terrible lighting... which means you'll need "fast" lens... which means the lens you'll want to use indoors will need to be a least f2.8... which usually means more money... :?
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 2:51 PM   #3

Mr_Saginaw wrote:
Quote:
Congrats on the new camera!

I seen the word basketball... which usually means indoor sports... which mean terrible lighting... which means you'll need "fast" lens... which means the lens you'll want to use indoors will need to be a least f2.8... which usually means more money... :?
Ya, I was hoping that with the low noise I could set the ISO a little higher and get away with it. Im not looking for awesome photos but more in the good range (by my standards). I used to use my Rebel 2000 with fast film (800) and it was terribly grainy. My point and shoot Oly D-40zoom digital was terrible and the 3x zoom was little help. Awfully slow, weak zoom and terrible CA.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 2:57 PM   #4

Well, a bit of encouragement for you... I (along with a lot of other folks :lol: ) get very usable images out of 20D's using ISO3200... just use your favorite noise reduction program and swish! you'll be amazed at how it looks compared to using high speed film!
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 4:10 PM   #5

Mr_Saginaw wrote:
Quote:
Well, a bit of encouragement for you... I (along with a lot of other folks :lol: ) get very usable images out of 20D's using ISO3200... just use your favorite noise reduction program and swish! you'll be amazed at how it looks compared to using high speed film!
Yah, Im hoping that 800 pr maybe 1600 will get the job done. We are talking about 7th graders so they dont move too fast!