Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 8, 2005, 8:30 PM   #1

Some of you may have seen my post about me ordering a 20D kit today.

I just found out that the Rebel XT is out today and that leaves me pondering!

I bought the 20D with the 18-55 lens and a 1gb Ultra II card.

I can cancel that order, go with the Rebel XT and the 17-40 "L" lens and the same card for the same price!

Icould also get the XT, the 17-85 IS lens and card for less.

Should I do it?
Bilbo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2005, 9:30 PM   #2

Guess it boils down to what glass you really want....tough choice I know.

I would imagine the longer you procrastinate, you run the chance of the initial load of XTs running out....then you have nothing.

TG
Trout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:20 PM   #3

If you don't need the more advanced features of the 20D then go for the cheaper camera.
WH_Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:44 PM   #4

I would never be in the first group of buyers of new DSLR's. Canon has a well documented history of early bugs that require firmware adjustments within a very short period. The 20D is still pretty darn new and, even though the XT is brand new, the 20D is still a superior camera and the early bugs have been worked out. If the reason is the body, I'd go with the 20D.

Looking at it from the lens-side though, the 17-40 is superior to the 18-55 kit lens and could be your normal lens for years without needing replacement. Your lenses will long outlast any digital SLR body you buy. I initially went with a Digital Rebel and 17-40 myself, avoiding the lure of a 10D. I now own that 10D, one of the last ones made, loaded with the final firmware version out of the box and have experience zero problems. I also still have the Digital Rebel as a backup and after 16 months it looks almost new and works as it did the first day out of the box.

Tough decision.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 11:18 PM   #5

Thought about it for a few hours and I really think Im going to stay with the 20D. I should be able to pick up another lens in a few months. I need to get to know the camera first. I used my rebel 2000 for years without a "great" lens. Right now, out of the box, I wouldnt be able to tell the difference.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 11:28 PM   #6

Not a bad decision. After using my 10D I could tell the Digital Rebel would be permanently regulated to backup status. The superior controls and build quality are compelling reasons to get the 20D.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 12:16 PM   #7

I bought the 20D with the 17-85mm lens about two months ago and am thrilled! My only regret is not buying the body only. I like the lens, but I'm strongly considering selling the lens back to the store and buying the 50mm f1.4 and the 85mm f1.8 as I'm really focusing on headshots and portraits. Did you think about buying the body only? I haven't read the greatest reviews on the 18-55 lens, and I've read mixed reviews on the 17-85, although I've been relatively happy. I think the primes will be better for me, though.

Good luck!
niss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 8:54 PM   #8

niss wrote:
Quote:
I bought the 20D with the 17-85mm lens about two months ago and am thrilled! My only regret is not buying the body only. I like the lens, but I'm strongly considering selling the lens back to the store and buying the 50mm f1.4 and the 85mm f1.8 as I'm really focusing on headshots and portraits. Did you think about buying the body only? I haven't read the greatest reviews on the 18-55 lens, and I've read mixed reviews on the 17-85, although I've been relatively happy. I think the primes will be better for me, though.

Good luck!
Getting the 20D body with the 17-85 and a card puts the price way over the budget. Over 2 grand and thats $400 more than the other options.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 11:43 AM   #9

Bilbo99 wrote:
Quote:
Thought about it for a few hours and I really think Im going to stay with the 20D. I should be able to pick up another lens in a few months. I need to get to know the camera first. I used my rebel 2000 for years without a "great" lens. Right now, out of the box, I wouldnt be able to tell the difference.
I have had my 20D for two weeks today. I have snapped off over 1700 shots. Sure, a number of them were sitting in the living room learning the camera (an ongoing process, to be sure), but I do have a feel for it at this point.

It feels solid in your hands. If the Rebel XT feels like the Rebel, then the 20D would still be my choice regardless of the current price difference.

I have printed a few 11x14 cropped shots and they are amazing, even though they were printed on my aged Epson 1200 on generic glossy photo paper.

If I could have afforded it (or been brave enough to go that far into debt) I would have ordered the 17-85 IS lens, but I can always sell the 'stock' lens and upgrade later. More affordable than upgrading the body.

Negatives: I am left-eye dominant. My nose, while not huge, is a good size and it rubs against the outer edge of the Quick Control dial and it does not feel good. I just ordered the Canon EP-EX15 extender to aid me in that.

This photo is a small, enhanced crop from an EOS 20D image taken with the 18-55 lens. You decide.
Attached Images

Randy G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 10:37 PM   #10

Nice pic Randy. I plan to use the 18-55 until my skills warrant a better lens. What I am really gonna need is the longest/fastest lens that my budget can afford. My current Quantaray (Ritz Camera house brand) is pretty lame. Good macro but slow and soft at 300.