Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 9, 2005, 11:50 AM   #1

With the recent purchase of the 20D we are finding it different from the EOS1Ds in working with RAW. We cannot get images to download using our existing Sandisk reader which had worked fine with the REBEL and the 1Ds. Itdoes not see the 20D RAW images. SO, we had to go to directly attaching the camera to the computer and then downloading...which we prefer not to do for a lot of reasons.

Then, even with the images downloaded from the camera into "My Pictures" we find that we still cannot use "Camera Raw" to do the many traditional initial settings that are so valuable to us prior to using Photoshop. Canon tech support indicates that only their Canon Digital Imaging software works for the initial image importation and eposure/brightness/contrast et. al. settings.

Our past workflow has always been to use "Camera RAW" and only then to use standard Photoshop features to producethefinal RAW image. Surely, there must be a way to download the RAW 20D images via a card reader, store them where we want, adjust them in "Camera RAW", and then use Photoshop... aswe always have...even the REBEL did this.

WE have already checked all drivers to assure they are the most current, but SOMETHING is just not working. Surely RAW files can be adjusted, modified,worked and savedas RAW files. Canon tech support stated they have to be saved a JPEG, but that is useless increating professional work.

ANY guidance from those who may have mastered downloads via a CompactFlash reader and the use of Camera RAW and Photoshop with the 20D would be greatly appreciated. [email protected]
creativeexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2005, 1:51 PM   #2
-jb

Update your Camera RAW plugin to the latest version to access the 20d's .CR2 filess. It's free from Adobe... version 2.4 is the latest.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photos...l?camerarawnav

I use Chris Breeze's "Downloader Pro" to download .CR2 images with no trouble...

http://www.breezesys.com/Downloader/index.htm

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 3:27 PM   #3

Yes Adobe just released version 2.4 in January; it covers the 20D. Also see this thread which has been ongoing and now we are getting somewhere:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...81&forum_id=31

TG
Trout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 3:32 PM   #4

My wife says she is sending you a GREAT BIG KISS!!!! Gotta have a talk with that woman! Thank you SO much for the reference to the Adobe download site. We had already downloaded drivers for the card reader and for the 20D itself, but just never thought to have to do a special download for Adobe for a new camera. Anyway, we have now downloaded the latest Adobe download and she is now busily working in Camera RAW as before. THIS more than made the forum worthwhile and I recommend regular downloads of every single hardware and software driver and component. For me that means all peripherals, all major software such as windows, Office, Photoshop, all drivers of hardware components AND all of the other support software...as well as the computers themselves. Quite a job, but I guess that should be added as a regular part of system maintainance just like backups to hard drives. Now, we have several computers networked together in a wireless LAN with multiple printers, scanners, a 100 GB and 300 GB hard drives. When we take the chip out of the camera we load via a CompactFlash reader straight into our computer. Then we create a new file where we do the Camera RAW and Photoshop work after saving the masters of the untouched originals into an archive drive that is never touched or manipulated. After each work is totally a finished product that too is saved in special files by project. Once RAW is mastered, I have NO desire to work in JPEG, but when I need JPEG thumbs that can be easily done with a Photoshop action and automated batch in an instant! Again ...thanks [email protected]
creativeexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 7:28 PM   #5

Cool Your first post here resulted in an answer and remedy to your situation. That's what forums are all about; sharing and learning.

TG
Trout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 8:14 PM   #6
-jb

creativeexpression wrote:
Quote:
My wife says she is sending you a GREAT BIG KISS!!!!
Thanks!

Glad it helped.

-jb

-jb is offline   Reply With Quote