Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 11, 2005, 8:13 AM   #1

My wife does quite a bit of photography of small children in her studio, often more "casual" pictures such as letting them play on the floor and shoot away, rather than posed. For many of these it'd be nice to have an external display so she didn't have to be on the floor too. In normal use, the tv output on the camera only show the review (obviously, since the mirror is in the way). If I get the hacked firmware to enable the mirror lockup, does it display the realtime image, or just the review?

Is there a better way with this camera to have an external monitor?
timropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2005, 9:14 AM   #2

It will still just show the review as with mirror lockup, the shutter curtain is still closed, blocking the sensor.

And there is no way to do a live preview with the camera. I find that it would be extremely impractical, as the battery life would be reduced to next to nothing.
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 9:35 AM   #3

Drat...

The battery life issue wouldn't bother me. Anytime I'd be tethered with a cable to a tv, I'd be in a studio with my charger and extra battery. Swapping them out takes half a second.
timropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 9:00 AM   #4

The live preview option is present on 20Da... so it is possible!!! They said that is impossible to a dSLR due to the mirror, shutter curtain, etc.
I wonder if someone could enable it on 300D and 20D... the guy that hacked the 300D should know the answer...
pauza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 9:32 AM   #5

Live preview on the 20Da is done by flipping the mirror up and opening the shutter. The live preview is magnified for focusing only and is monochrome. I suspect it may be possible tosomehow modify the 20D, since it is essentially the same camera and has the same DIGIC-II processor.

The original dRebeldoes not use the same CPU, and its firmware seems to be more closely related to the 10D. Now the dRebelXT does use the same CPU as the 20D so maybe there is some hope there as well. But that is for those brave enough to try to hack their cameras. :lol:

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote