Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 12, 2005, 4:39 PM   #1

This school will loan me a 70-200 F2.8L IS lens to use with my 10D canon.

I plan to shoot a few basketball games for them. What is the best setting to use with this lens? With my 28-80 lens I set the camera on P mode up the ISO to 3200 and shoot with a 550 speedlite. (I get 25 photos out of 100 that are useable). Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

Lisa Suzuki
lisa_suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2005, 5:00 PM   #2

try 1000 and then 1600. with that strobe you'll get images. bring plenty of batteries for the flash and a spare for the camera. the IS will feed off the camera battery.

are you allowed to move around on the side line?

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 7:20 PM   #3

Yes I can move around the sideline and use flash, this is girls b-ball so not too much people go. So what I should do is set camera in P mose and set ISO to 1000?
lisa_suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 9:37 PM   #4

What I wonder is if the aperture picked in P will give enough DOF. I truly don't know, but I wonder. You'll want enough DOF to get the entire girl in focus... so you probably can't shoot at f2.8.

It's a great lens, but a bit heavy. It will takes some getting used to but I bet you'll like it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 7:23 PM   #5

lisa_suzuki wrote:
Quote:
This school will loan me a 70-200 F2.8L IS lens to use with my 10D canon.

I plan to shoot a few basketball games for them. What is the best setting to use with this lens? With my 28-80 lens I set the camera on P mode up the ISO to 3200 and shoot with a 550 speedlite. (I get 25 photos out of 100 that are useable). Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

Lisa Suzuki
I have the 70-200IS- great lens.... but to be honest- I'm finding the 85/1.8 to be a better choice. I love the extra range of the 70-200, but the extra stop is a bigger benefit. And fot stopping action -as you know- the IS doesnt help.

Another benefit is using the 20D which has "usable" iso3200 and at 8Mpix, I dont mind cropping a bit.

Also, the sports I shoot- flash is not usually an option..... and even if allowed- I feel its distracting to the participants...

Good luck though- one thing for sure- people take notice of the 70-200! One benefit I found is people have given me access I dont think I would have received otherwise after looking at that monster hanging from the camera.... I didnt bother to correct their impression of my amatuer status! :-)
lowepg is offline   Reply With Quote