Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 14, 2005, 1:49 PM   #1

Which camera would serve the novice photographer better, The older, more basic Digital Rebel or the more advanced XT? This Is'nt a "which camera should I buy " question. I'm still at the "thinking" stage.
Jobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2005, 2:36 PM   #2

Well,

Since it sounds like you're not in a hurry I would suggest waiting until more reviews come out on the 350 - after it's been out 3 months or so and some of the bugs start to surface. But, let's assume there's nothing hugely wrong with it - then it becomes a matter of comparing the additional features and determining whether those features are worth the extra cost ($150-$200 extra) to you. Both cameras will work just fine in fully auto mode. Both are designed as entry level so I don't think you'd find the 300D 'more easy to use'. But, I also like to keep a camera for at least several years so I try to buy one based upon my needs looking 3 years ahead (if I can). Others always want the latest and greatest and buy a new digital camera every year - even, it seems, in the DSLR world. So, my advice is look at the posts indicating the new features the 350 has over the 300 and see if those features are important. And, wait a month or two to see if the 350 lives up to the hype with more serious testing and use.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 5:43 PM   #3

As to which is the better between the two, the 350D is.
Should you spend the extra money to get the 350D over the 300D? Yes. Depending on when you buy it and where, the price difference between the 300D and the 350D may not be so pronounced. I like the 350D's DIGIC II processor (same as 20D) and the noise-reduction circuitry (similar to 20D, maybe even the same). The noise-reduction circuitry is really good when you need to shoot at higher ISOs (800, 1600), very useful when light is limited. The 350D also has a fantastic start-up time (0.2s).
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 3:00 PM   #4

I have the same quandry:?. Is the 350 worth $300 more than the 300? I'm not sure it is. I reading some reports of a lot of them being returned defective? Does Canon have a quality issue? Time will tell I guess. I will wait and see what reviews, etc.. come out in the next month.. Gerry
ggw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 8:35 PM   #5

I don't think Canon has a quality issue. You will hear this type of moaning every time a new camera comes out. It's mostly user error, IMO. I've been using Canon equipment for 20+ years and have never had a problem (I'm still using a circa. 1980 Canonet QL III 17.) Maybe I'm just lucky?

The XT/350D is by all accounts a better machine than the DRebel, but it's the person behind the camera that makes the image. A beginner might be better off to invest in good lenses for the 6MP DRebel. If you already use the Canon SLR system, switching to the XT/350D will be easy.
jpmccormac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 4:37 PM   #6

Jobert wrote:
Quote:
Which camera would serve the novice photographer better, The older, more basic Digital Rebel or the more advanced XT? This Is'nt a "which camera should I buy " question. I'm still at the "thinking" stage.
While you are "thinking", prices may drop, depending on how long you are thinking. This applies to both the 300D and the 350D. I have seen the 300D advertised for ~$420USD refurbished from a store; still had a 1 year warranty to boot. Probably someone trading it in for credit for a 20D or a 350D. By the time you have finished thinking, you may have already saved up the extra money for the difference in price, but the 350D may have also dropped in price simultaneously. Double win. If you can get by for another 6 months from now, do so and the prices should have dropped a little.

If any of this doesn't make sense, or is flawed in logic in anyway, don't mind me, I have been working for about 48h...:-D :sleep:
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote