Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 23, 2005, 3:42 AM   #11

Ctrack,

Which Canon lens are you comparing the tamron to?

Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 11:43 PM   #12

I just got me lens today. I'm testing it to see if it has a soft focus or not. I'm going to test it more tomorrow because the sun wil be out.

I'm concerned because of a thread that I saw here. Check out the link.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=12106901

That thread has me worried now. I wish that I had never seen it.

I think my lens is good, but I'm not 100% sure just yet.
Mr. Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 5:34 AM   #13

The Tamron 28-75seems to be a very popular item in this forum so Itoo had ro have one. I received the lensTuesdayfrom B&H and sent it back yesterday. The lens did not focus well and the overall image quality wasn't near as good as the Canon 28-135 IS lens. I think I will go with the Canon 17-40 L lens or the Canon 24-70 L lens instead.
harryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 11:01 AM   #14

Terry,

Sorry, lost track of this thread. I have the 17-40L ang the 28-135 IS. Probably not a fair comparison to these lenses. Tamron produces great shots but seems "rough" when focusing. Otherwise good lens, paid $399 at Wolf Camera.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 11:08 AM   #15

HarryP,

I have the 28-135IS and it produces sharp images. I was pleasantly stunned by its performance when I first used it. I love it! I then bought the 17-40L based on comments and reviews by users. It has become my everyday lens for my DReb and my 20D because it seems to meet my needs best. I do a lot of indoor work.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 6:23 PM   #16

Might be worth posting some images for comparison purposes.

Sometimes people think their lens is crap when really they are just having buyer's remorse.

I've personally owned about 10 lenses (film, mainly) and have never had a problem with any of them.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 10:42 PM   #17

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Might be worth posting some images for comparison purposes.

Sometimes people think their lens is crap when really they are just having buyer's remorse.

I've personally owned about 10 lenses (film, mainly) and have never had a problem with any of them.
I've put my new Tamron lens through just about every comparison test that I could think of. I probably took 150 photos with it just today. I even let a buddy use it and test it. IMO, I got a winner. I just wish my camera and lens had a winner to operate them. :-)
Old Mar 25, 2005, 6:22 PM   #18

Well thats great, Mr. Peabody!

Old Mar 26, 2005, 12:03 AM   #19

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Well thats great, Mr. Peabody!

I took 245 indoor pics tonight at a big family get together. I was amazed at how good they turned out. Before, my purchase of the Tamron lens, I was only used to taking indoor pics with my 20D kit lens. The f/2.8 makes such a huge difference.

Btw, I also had a Canon 75-300mm II USM lens. This week I got my new Canon 75-300mm USM lens with Image Stabilization. I decided to try it out last night at an indoor school Easter Play. I sat in the Balcony and zoomed in to get shots of my kids. Wow! What a difference the Image Stabilization makes. With my old 75-300mm lens the pictures always had some blur or a lot of blur to them. The shots with my new IS lens were sweet. I would have tried out my new Tamron f/2.8 lens as well, but I lent it to a friend to get his opinion of it. He was very impressed with it too.