Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 21, 2005, 10:59 AM   #11

The manual for my BGE-2 says for AA rechargables use fully charged Nickel-Hydride batteries.
It speciffically says do not use Lithium's AA'sas they are not suitable.

You are correct read the f. manual.

I normally use 2 *511A batteries in my BGE-2, the use of AA's is an option for emergencies only. I buy good cameras and expensive lenses, why would anyonecheep out and buycheap crappy batteries for use in an expensive camera.

Peter.

DonalDuc wrote:
Quote:
alkaline= 1.5 volt

rechargeable NiMH cells = 1.2 volt

battery pack with NiMH cells isn't suited for DSLR, read the f. manual :-)

battery pack is only for ~ 80 pictures, why buy this if you get non-Canon-LiIons for some buckazoids!
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 11:02 AM   #12

It is a seriously derogatory term, usually used by geeks telling each other to "Read the f*****g manual" themselves rather than ask for help.

Peter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Gabby
[b]Duc, what are you talking about??? and what the heck is "f. manual".
[/quote]
Old Mar 23, 2005, 8:46 AM   #13

Nancy Gabby wrote:
Quote:
What about NiMh batteries? would those work? And what is supposed to be used with the camera? Does a set of batteries come with the body when you buy it? I will be purchasing the camera on Monday (I went today but B&H was closed b/c of the Jewish sabbath-I don't understand why they can't get some non-jews to run the place, I mean Friday and Saturday are a big day for sales, and it ruined my afternoon!)
You can still get delicious bagels
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 12:56 PM   #14

boyzo and gabby are looking for trouble from the Jewish folks.:evil:
DynamoHum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 1:18 AM   #15

My stepdad is Jewish, and although I am not converted my temple's rabbi knows and loves me like a second daughter, so when I say, "Uy vehy", it comes from the heart. And I went to B&H to buy the camera, and there was a guy there, a complete d* (btw, I know what "f* manual" is, my point was how can someone be so cruel to someone who is just trying to gather info, and granted maybethey had a right to act that way, but they should have realized that the person asking the question might not have bought the camera yet)that talked me out of what I wanted, he rung it up and I just left the store, instead of waiting on their production line in order to check out. I was so angry, and he was a white guy. Looked and acted like a red neck. I can take it when the Chasidem are mean but this guy took the cake. I am going back tomorrow to complain, or maybe just head to Adorama to buy my equipment, or to Fotocare (I really like that store but it is a bit more $$$).

And from what I gather from Peter, you can use the Nimh batteries, assuming they are fully charged. I am just going to get a couple of extra 511as, but I do own nimh batteries, so I could use them as a just in case situation.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 11:15 AM   #16

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
I normally use 2 * 511A batteries in my BGE-2, the use of AA's is an option for emergencies only. I buy good cameras and expensive lenses, why would anyone cheep out and buy cheap crappy batteries for use in an expensive camera.

Peter.
I don't want to buy crappy batteries. I too use 2 * 511A batteries in my BGE-2, but if they go flat while I'm out, I wanted a set of cells that I could keep in my bag that would not self discharge.

The thing with emergencies is that they are usually unpredictable. I can't take a set of fully charged NiMH AA cells with me all the time.

With all these restrictions, it seems that the ability to use AA cells on the 20D is less than useful.

I wonder why Canon doesn't recommend using lithium cells :?:
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 2:52 AM   #17

Hey, how is that BGE-2? It seems like the 511a batteries last a long time, so I don't quite understand the need. Does it increase the fps with the battery grip?
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 6:27 AM   #18

Yes the 511A lasts a long time on it's own.

The BGE2 is great for counter balancing a telephoto lens while on a tripod.

I got mine mainly because I thought the camera looked more professional with it
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 5:42 PM   #19

Hmm....I purchased a couple of BP511 "compatible" batteries anda home/car charger for $22 shipped last week at ebay. So far so good.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 6:20 PM   #20

:blah:ROTFL :blah:

Paul(UK)wrote:
Quote:
I got mine mainly because I thought the camera looked more professional with it
It doesn't change the cameras abilities, it does add a second vertical shutter button and controls. If you are comfortable with the camera body as is, just carrying a spare battery can accomplish the same thing. :-)I find the larger body/grip combination easier to handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Gabby
Hey, how is that BGE-2? It seems like the 511a batteries last a long time, so I don't quite understand the need. Does it increase the fps with the battery grip?
Peter.