Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 18, 2005, 4:58 PM   #1

I have been carrying a set of alkaline cells in my camera bag for use in my 20D & BGE2 in emergencies.

Just out of interest, I tried them today.

I never even got one shot. The camera was metering ok but when I pushed the shutter release fully, the camera turned off showing the flat battery symbol.

I took all the cells out and tested them. They are delivering 6 amps and have an off load voltage of 1.7v (They are brand new Duracell Ultra)

I was expecting to get at least 20 shots out of them.

So much for keeping them with me as a backup
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:28 PM   #2

Paul(UK) wrote:
Quote:
I have been carrying a set of alkaline cells in my camera bag for use in my 20D & BGE2 in emergencies.

Just out of interest, I tried them today.

I never even got one shot. The camera was metering ok but when I pushed the shutter release fully, the camera turned off showing the flat battery symbol.

I took all the cells out and tested them. They are delivering 6 amps and have an off load voltage of 1.7v (They are brand new Duracell Ultra)

I was expecting to get at least 20 shots out of them.

So much for keeping them with me as a backup
Did you try AA lithium batteries?
Thats what I carry for backup (in my advanced compact digital) they are light, and last forever:G
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 3:23 AM   #3

What about NiMh batteries? would those work? And what is supposed to be used with the camera? Does a set of batteries come with the body when you buy it? I will be purchasing the camera on Monday (I went today but B&H was closed b/c of the Jewish sabbath-I don't understand why they can't get some non-jews to run the place, I mean Friday and Saturday are a big day for sales, and it ruined my afternoon!)
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 7:18 AM   #4
NHL

NiMh rechargeable will work fine - They can put out higher current while maintaining a constant voltage unlike regular Alkaline's

This is what cause the 20D not to work with AA - under load their voltage drop below the minimum threshold required - resetting the camera... http://dpfwiw.com/batteries.htm#alkaline2
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 1:49 PM   #5

NHL wrote:
Quote:
NiMh rechargeable will work fine - They can put out higher current while maintaining a constant voltage unlike regular Alkaline's

This is what cause the 20D not to work with AA - under load their voltage drop below the minimum threshold required - resetting the camera... http://dpfwiw.com/batteries.htm#alkaline2
I think that if you are just keeping them as backup in your camera bag, when you might not use them for a month or so, go with Lithium batteries. NiMh lose their charge after a while
Lithiums keep their charge for yeeeeaaarrrrss :G
Old Mar 19, 2005, 3:05 PM   #6

Thanks all.

I had thought of NiMH but I know they would be self discharged before I needed them.

I didn't know you could get lithium AA cells. I think that is what I shall buy then

Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 2:18 AM   #7

Paul(UK) wrote:
Quote:
Thanks all.

I had thought of NiMH but I know they would be self discharged before I needed them.

I didn't know you could get lithium AA cells. I think that is what I shall buy then
I am sure you already know this, but they are just disposable, and not rechargable. . . but they sure do last a long time!:lol:
Old Mar 20, 2005, 6:36 PM   #8

alkaline= 1.5 volt

rechargeable NiMH cells = 1.2 volt

battery pack with NiMH cells isn't suited for DSLR, read the f. manual :-)

battery pack is only for ~ 80 pictures, why buy this if you get non-Canon-LiIons for some buckazoids!
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 1:38 AM   #9

Mr. Duc, what are you talking about??? and what the hell is "f. manual". Some of us don't own the camera you know.

And what is this comment, "battery pack is only for ~ 80 pictures...". This comes directly from Steve's review of the 20D:

"The 20D is powered by the BP-511A 7.2v 1390mAh (with 25% more capacity than the previous BP-511) lithium rechargeable pack. At normal temperature (68°F/20°C) it's good for ~1000 pictures without flash or ~750 pictures if the flash is used 50% of the time. Battery life is incredible thanks to its low-power CMOS imager and power-saving DIGIC II processor."
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 6:20 AM   #10
NHL

He's talking about using the BGE-2 with NiMh (i.e. 6 x 1.2V = 7.2V)

-> A second BP-511 is more efficient!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote