Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 19, 2005, 4:08 PM   #1

Just got back from a local store and they are offering the Rebel XT with the Canon 17-85 USM ISM lens for $1650 Canadian or approximately $1350 US.

Some reviews suggest the Sigma 18-125 might be better lens, especially at the wide angle. In that case it's $1500 Canadian or approximately $1250 US.

Need help deciding.

Thanks

//jim
killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2005, 6:53 PM   #2

Those appear to be outstanding prices. I saw the XT for the 1st time today and am glad I went for the 20D. Im a big guy and the XT just felt so small in my big hands.

I havent used either lens but have read mostly good reports on both. The question is are you going to need IS. What type of shooting do you do? Do you have a need for IS? If not, I would go with the Sigma since it gives you a little more range and at a lower price.

Did you consider the 17-40L f/4? Much less range but supposedly a fantastic piece of glass. Here in the US I see that its less than $100 more expensive than the Canon 17-85f/4-5.6 USM IS

Bilbo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 12:13 AM   #3

Haven't really considered too many lenses. I wanted an all in one if possible that would be compact for hiking. Most shots will be landscapes, grazing animals, portraits and birds in my backyard feeders.

I live in Calgary Canada. The store with the good deals is Vistek. You can do a web search and you will find their Toronto store. They sell mail order. If you are in the US you can take advantage of favourable exchange rates.

I'm leaning toward the Sigma because of the length and some positive feedback from people who are using the lens.

Thanks for your advice.
killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 1:58 AM   #4

I would go with the Sigma.:arrow:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 3:54 PM   #5

Any Us retailers have that kit available????
folkcarver is offline   Reply With Quote