Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 26, 2005, 6:30 PM   #11

The EF-S 17-85IS is a terrific match for the 20D. The extra width at the short end (45 vs 27mm 35 mm equivalent ) will change your mind. My old Pro90IS (38-38mm equivalent) was great. Once I had more wide angel capability, it changed my way of taking pictures.

I do miss the reach of my old camera, but plan on buying an EF 70-200 L f4 (probably a 1.4X TC as well). The DSLR is a double edged sword... the ability to change lenses is wonderful. But you have to buy those new lenses, and many of them cost more than a great point and shoot camera.

I think the decision to buy a DSLR requires a recognition of the fact that there's a difference between photography and "taking pictures".
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 10:30 AM   #12
TC3

Look at this

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=12897299
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 3:53 PM   #13

I am in the same place. I have the 20D with the kit lens (EF-S 18-55). it's a pretty OK lens for the money. The two lenses you mentioned are on top of my list right now. I would like to carry one lens and that makes the 17-85 very tempting. On the other hand, coupled with the 18-55 I already have, the 28-135 makes for a very nice two-lens arrangement. BUT, that means switching lenses and the possibility of allowing dust onto the sensor.

I was considering the Tamron 28-300 but the sample pics from it I have seen are beyond unacceptable. I am waiting for sample pics from the Sigma of the saame specs but assume that it will also be a no show.

In another thread, someone mentioned that they had the Sigma 18-125mm f/3.5-5.6 DC lens and liked its pictures better than the 18-55 kit lens.

Does that all sound familiar? Welcome to the club!
Randy G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 10:10 AM   #14

Here is a different point of view. I have the 17-85mm lens and while the zoom range is great I've found little use for it with the f/4-5.6 ap. It's way to slow for indoor sports, the IQ on my lens is very bad without exceptional lighting. On the other hand having a 17mm lens on the short end has let me gets some really good shots that the lens I replaced this with just couldn't quite do.

Now you ask what lens did I replace it with? Well it's the Tamron AF 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di Zoom. If you're shooting in a studio you'll most likely be using manual focus yes? If not the AF on the Tamron is very quick and I've had no problems shooting sports with it. I've found the colour conrast and IQ to be much better than the canon and having f/2.8 gives it not only good low light performance, but great bokeh.

Here are some pics from a hockey game I shot last night with the Tamron and my 20D. All shots are either f/2.8 1/640 or f/3.2 1/500 and ISO 1600...but through glass so things may not look that hot :lol:

w/Tamron
http://www.spec3.net/Panthers%20vs%2...204/index.html

Game #1 with the Canon 17-85 IS (the first few shots were with my 50mm f/1.8
http://www.spec3.net/Panthers%20vs%2...201/index.html

Info and reviews of the Tamron
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...&cat=43&page=1
Spec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 2:40 PM   #15
TC3

Spec3 wrote:
Quote:
Here is a different point of view. I have the 17-85mm lens and while the zoom range is great I've found little use for it with the f/4-5.6 ap. It's way to slow for indoor sports, the IQ on my lens is very bad without exceptional lighting. On the other hand having a 17mm lens on the short end has let me gets some really good shots that the lens I replaced this with just couldn't quite do.

Now you ask what lens did I replace it with? Well it's the Tamron AF 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di Zoom. If you're shooting in a studio you'll most likely be using manual focus yes? If not the AF on the Tamron is very quick and I've had no problems shooting sports with it. I've found the colour conrast and IQ to be much better than the canon and having f/2.8 gives it not only good low light performance, but great bokeh.

Here are some pics from a hockey game I shot last night with the Tamron and my 20D. All shots are either f/2.8 1/640 or f/3.2 1/500 and ISO 1600...but through glass so things may not look that hot :lol:

w/Tamron

Game #1 with the Canon 17-85 IS (the first few shots were with my 50mm f/1.8
http://www.spec3.net/Panthers%20vs%2...201/index.html

Info and reviews of the Tamron
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...=43&page=1
I would also go for the Tamron as i have read nothing but praise for it and it is what i will get once i get my 350D

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 3:41 PM   #16

Hey Spec, do you have any telephoto zooms? I went to Ringling Bros. yesterday w/my EF-S 17-85mm lens, and it was too slow. I was shooting at ISO 3200 and some shots just weren't cuttin' it. I also found that the AF doesn't work too well, in low light (which I knew), but it also seemed like the IS wasn't working too well, b/c it should give me about 3 extra stops (assuming the shutter speed is 1/mm of lens), and I didn't even get one stop, and my camera was propped up on the bannister. A lot of the pictures came out good, but more than I liked came out blurry, and some b/c of the auto focus (I was also manually focusing) and some b/c of the stabilization. I could have also used more zoom, which brings me back to my first question about telephoto zooms. I was looking into that 70-300mm DO lens, but it is expensive, slow and I hear doesn't have great contrast (I was figuring I would bump it up in the camera b/c I just don't want to be bothered). But it is small, and that is a plus, but what is everyone else shooting in the 70-300mm range (approx.)? And what are faster lenses in that range that are good?
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 6:17 PM   #17

Nancy Gabby wrote:
Quote:
Hey Spec, do you have any telephoto zooms? I went to Ringling Bros. yesterday w/my EF-S 17-85mm lens, and it was too slow. I was shooting at ISO 3200 and some shots just weren't cuttin' it. I also found that the AF doesn't work too well, in low light (which I knew), but it also seemed like the IS wasn't working too well, b/c it should give me about 3 extra stops (assuming the shutter speed is 1/mm of lens), and I didn't even get one stop, and my camera was propped up on the bannister. A lot of the pictures came out good, but more than I liked came out blurry, and some b/c of the auto focus (I was also manually focusing) and some b/c of the stabilization. I could have also used more zoom, which brings me back to my first question about telephoto zooms. I was looking into that 70-300mm DO lens, but it is expensive, slow and I hear doesn't have great contrast (I was figuring I would bump it up in the camera b/c I just don't want to be bothered). But it is small, and that is a plus, but what is everyone else shooting in the 70-300mm range (approx.)? And what are faster lenses in that range that are good?
I don't have a long lens yet, but I have the Canon 70-200L IS on order :| The thing you have to remember with IS is that it only corrects camera movement. If your subject is moving the shot will still be blurry. I haven't seen the benifit of the IS on the 17-85mm.....it's just not long enough to have problems with shake (unless you can't hold the camera steady). If you have something like a 300mm lens and want to shoot in low light or anything slower than 1/focal length the IS is useful.

There are a bunch of lenses in the 50-300mm range, but it depends on how much you want to spend.

You can get something like this
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...&cat=27&page=2

Or this lens here can't be beat if you don't mind f/4
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...&cat=27&page=2
Spec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 6:38 PM   #18

Spec3 wrote:
Quote:
.......Now you ask what lens did I replace it with? Well it's the Tamron AF 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di Zoom....

w/Tamron
Thanks for the info as well as the links. The pics of the hocky game do look excellent. Definitely puts the Tamron in the running!
Randy G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 10:43 PM   #19

:? Although we were comparing 2 lenses originally, it looks like we are now considereing some other ideas.
Spec3 is right, if you can get down to 2.8 or better with your lense, you are going to do much better indoors without flash. You may also want to consider the Sigma 120x300 F2.8. This lense is on my must have list. You will not be able to shoot well indors with any F3.5 or F4 lense without flash.
The lenses mentioned in the original thread are not in the same catagory as these.
Also don't forget the Canon 24x70 [I believe the numbers are correct]it is also a 2.8 lense.
There is also the 50 1.8 and the 50 1.4, both good lenses.
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 12:38 AM   #20

Does anybody have anything good to say about the EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM?

And is there any lens with the same zoom range with a fixed aperture?
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote