Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 21, 2005, 2:53 PM   #1

I just went and played with it at a store and it was awesome! Just curious to see if anyone has the plain Rebel and if there is a big enough difference to spend the extra. One place has the rebel for $799 and the rebel XT for $999...going to keep looking.

Thanks

CC
cc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2005, 3:32 PM   #2

The new model has some real advantages to the original Digital Rebel. The ultra fast start time and bigger buffer are just two, altough the times I've used my Digital Rebel, and I did shoot two weddings with it before buying the 10D, I never ran into a time where I needed to wait before taking the next image.

The new camera includes pretty much everything omited from the original, most of which you can retrofit to the Digital Rebel via the Russian hack. Flash Exposure Compensation, after fitting the hack, is easier to set with the Digital Rebel- with the XT you have to pull the camera down and go into the menus to do it vs. just pushing a button and twirling the command dial,and you can do itwithout taking theDigital Rebeldown from your eye.

I would only buy the original Digital Rebel today if I were planning to install the hack and open up the suppressed options. Otherwise, get the newer model.TheXTalso is supposed to AF in lower light, which would be amazing since my Digital Rebel is already pretty darn fast at AF, even in very low light.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 4:53 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. You lost me on the Russian Hack part. I just started taking digital photo classes...I have a Sony DSV-1. The photographer told me for what I want I need to upgrade to an SLR.

So knowing that do you think I could get by with the original rebel?

Appreciate the help.

Carrie
Old Mar 21, 2005, 5:27 PM   #4

What Greg was saying was that, on the Original Rebel, there were some features that were disabled via software. One was "Flash Exposure Compensation" (which varies the output of the onboard and some external flashes) Another was "Mirror lockup" (which allows the mirror to move up before the shutter is opened... it's handy when you're taking long exposures and you don't want any vibration due to "mirror slap.") there are a few others, but those come to mind. There was a guy in Russia who figured out how to enable those features on the Original Rebel using a software hack that you can download. I've done it; it works fine.

There are other features of the XT that cannot be replicated by the original or the original + the software hack. They include a larger frame burst for taking sequential shots, larger files (6 vs 8 megapixels), a new image processing chip,and faster startup time.

Yes, you could "get by" with the Original, but for the small difference in price, I'd go with the XT (assuming that the image sensor is as good as the 20Ds, which the sensor is based on).

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 6:27 PM   #5

Thanks so much for explaing. Now that I know I will be able to write it all off for next year as I use it for my business I am thinking I might as well do the Rebel XT...oh it was sweet when I used it this afternoon.

Thanks

CC
Old Mar 21, 2005, 10:33 PM   #6

i went from the origional rebel to the XT for these reasons

-0.2 sec start up time (compared to 3 sec i think)
-larger burst mode
-RAW + Jpeg recording
-built in noise reduction
-higher resolution for more editing
-smaller, lighter, better battery life

for me it cost about $400 dollars by the time i sold my old rebel through ebay and when i purchased my new one and if i had to do it again i definately would.
lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 12:19 PM   #7
Administrator

Here's their major differences:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_..._vs_rebel.html

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 6:37 PM   #8

ht

Got mine in time for Easter!!

Mark
mrcoons is offline   Reply With Quote