Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 21, 2005, 10:16 PM   #1

I was shooting a wedding with this camera and the photos inside the church had to be shot @ 800 ISO or higher or else the background would be all black? Am i doing something wrong? My settings were @ 60th 5.6F. How can i shoot at lower ISO? Even if i shoot at 2.8F I still have to shoot at 800ISO or higher. Why?
Thank you for all your help.

Napster
Napster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2005, 10:21 PM   #2

were you using a flash?

if so the reason the background was black is because the flash isnt able to provide enough light to those areas (makes the picture look like you were shootin with the lights turned off) the higher ISO allows the ambient light along with some light from the flash to illuminate the background of your shots.

if there was no flash, post a picture so we can determine the problem (hopefully)

lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 10:24 PM   #3

I used a flash, the Canon 580EX in ETTL. As i said they turn out fine if the ISO is set at 800 or higher. Is this normal? It's only doing it this in large buildings as in churches etc.

Napster
Old Mar 21, 2005, 10:54 PM   #4

Completely normal, your flash output drops off at a square of the distance. So you illuminate something close but things furtherer away do not get thelight.

By using a high ISO and slow shutter speed you are picking up and recording ambient light as well as your flash output..

IMHO: it is better to use long exposures and a tripod to record church interiors, it helps retain the mood and ambiance. Strobes, unless you really know what you are doing to light a room can easily make things look very clinical and unnatural.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 6:30 AM   #5

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
IMHO: it is better to use long exposures and a tripod to record church interiors, it helps retain the mood and ambiance.
Peter.
I thought about that but then when people walk in the church that is almost immpossible. With film i have always done that. Please forgive my ignorance but i am just slowly switiching to digital so i am trying to learn.

What if i set up a wireless light in the back of the church andalso use the flash. Would this fix my problem?

Thank you once again.

Napster

Old Mar 22, 2005, 9:39 AM   #6

On one side yes it would work, on the other you would probably need more than one remote strobe to balance out the light. So the costs go up substantially. For remote strobes look to the Sigma 500DG Super, 1/2 the cost of the ex-580with all the remote wireless featuresand almost the same power output.

Of course you also need to get permission to wander around and place the strobes where you will need them. :-)

Peter.

Old Mar 22, 2005, 10:59 AM   #7
NHL

You also need to have the remote slaves within range... Theses don't work by RF and have to be in line of sight of the master unit... (at least in the E-TTL mode)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 11:13 AM   #8

NHL wrote:
Quote:
You also need to have the remote slaves within range... Theses don't work by RF and have to be in line of sight of the master unit... (at least in the E-TTL mode)
I use the Quantum digital flashes and i can also set them in auto as i set them when i take portraits, am i right?

Thanks guys, this is a great site....

Napster
Old Mar 22, 2005, 11:36 AM   #9

Some of the Quantums support ettl-II, If yours do they should work fine. I think Quantum also sells upgrade modules if they don't.

Peter.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 12:15 PM   #10

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
Some of the Quantums support ettl-II, If yours do they should work fine. I think Quantum also sells upgrade modules if they don't.

Peter.
They do you are right but even when i call them they tell me that I will get better exposure by leaving the flash in auto mode and not TTL. Here's what i found on their website:

http://www.qtm.com/photoschool/QflashLesson.php

Napster