Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 23, 2005, 2:26 PM   #1

Last week, I was debating whether to purchase a brand new Rebel XT kit or a used 20D kit. I found a local guy who was selling a 6-month old 20D kit for $1,100 with a Best Buy 4 yr extended warranty. The warranty paperwork stated that indeed it was transferrable...it just needed the previous owner's signature...whichhe signed.The warranty papers also stated the20D's serial number, but the numberdoes not match the numberat the bottom of the camera.Instead, it matchesone of the numbers on the 20D box (there were 3 sets of numbers on the box). The box also had the actual serial number of the camera. So I thought ok...perhaps Best Buy just scanned the wrong number on the box. He was also selling a Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens. He told me that the camera was seldom used (only about 300 shots) and in mint condition. So I came overand checkedthem out, and everything looked prestine. So I negotiated with him and ended up getting the 20D, lens, and the Best Buyextended warranty for $1,290.

I showed everything to my brother-in-law. He said that indeed everything looked and performed great (he has a Canon D60).

Last night, I was just browsing thru the 20D user's manual and stumbled upon the "FILE NO.". It looks like this number goes in sequence per shot taken. To my surprise, the number I saw for the picture I just shot was "123-2336". Whatdoes the "123"and "2336" mean? From what I've read in the manual, 2336 is the picture number...so that means the guy must have taken atleast 2,335 pictures with the camera. Should I be worried about this? How about the Best Buy extended warranty?

Thanks for any input!
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2005, 2:44 PM   #2

My DRebel and 20D did not start at 0. Think my DRebel started at around 1000 and my 20D start more like at 3000 or 4000... Both of these were brand new cameras... in unopened boxes... so not to worry on you file #
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 8:29 PM   #3

Sorry, it looks like your suspicions are true. If he used the default numbering that came with the camera, the directory starts at 100 and picture file number starts at 0001

So you are on your 23rd directory and possibly, your 2336th shot.
tedbase1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 8:31 PM   #4

Hmmm...how about Mr_Saginaw's post above? Can anyone else confirm?
Old Mar 23, 2005, 8:51 PM   #5

Well the file numbering will equal the actuations if the memory card has not been used in another Canon camera. For example, I had a D30 with 3000 actuations. I bought a 10D and used my same CF cards. The 10D only had about 2000 actuations, but the numbering started at 3001. They do this to avoid identical filenames, especially in the case where photos from two cameras may be stored on the same computer.

I believe only Canon can tell the true number of actuations. The 1 series does have software that displays actuation counts.
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 9:25 PM   #6

My 20D started at 0001. I also found if you have a file on the CF card the camera will pick up counting after that file's number. When I got my camera back fromt the service center it was on file IMG_9999, then I put a CF card in with a file of IMG_1645 and the next picture taken was number 1646.
Proxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 12:23 PM   #7

I see...the guy did have 2 other cameras...a 300D and a Pro1. He gave me a complimentary Canon High Speed 64mb CF card with the 20D. I guess I'll never know how many actuations the 20D has had.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 4:43 PM   #8

tedbase1 wrote:
Quote:
Sorry, it looks like your suspicions are true. If he used the default numbering that came with the camera, the directory starts at 100 and picture file number starts at 0001

So you are on your 23rd directory and possibly, your 2336th shot.
I took my first pics with the 20D on 2/24 - first pic was 0001. Now, 3/24, just one month later, I am on picture 2505 in folder 125.

Figuring that the camera can take 5 frames per second, 2500 pics could be done in under nine minutes, I would not panic about it. After all, with the extended warranty, you are covered. Remember that, with a new camera, any photographer would be more likely to take a lot of pics in the first few weeks getting accsutomed to the "feel" of the camera if nothing else.

Just in case, stop in at Best Buy and verify the numbers on the warrtanty papers and possibly have them change the paperwork to match.

Sounds like he got an excellent deal.. IMO!
Randy G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 4:47 PM   #9

Thanks Randy! I did shoot a message to bestbuy.com asking about the possible incorrect scanning of serial number on the box. They should be getting back to me within 48-72 hours. Yeah, I thought it was a really good deal...too good to pass up, so I did it.