Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 2, 2005, 6:51 PM   #11

My feeling on extended warranties on any product is that if I feel the product needsone, maybe I don't have alot of faith in the product to begin with and maybe shouldn't consider buying it in the first place. In the same vein, ifa salesman is real pushy about selling me an extended warranty I tell him if heis pretty confident the product will give me trouble, maybe I should consider something else and maybe in another store. Maybe he'll throw in or discount the extended warranty justto make a sale if you can get him frazzled a bit.

Somewhat typically an electronics device, if it is going to fail in some manner, will usually do so early in its life do to component that wassubstandard in maufacture or faultyconnection. A typical 1 year warranty will generally catch this. Beyond a year if the user takes care of a camera it should last until the user decides that the next camera out there on the market has more and better features and it's time to retire the old one.

A few charges I've seen in various forums seems to be about $175-$200 for a repair. If my camera fails I'll just bite the bullet and put the $100 the warranty would have cost towards the repair. So far as yearly batteries, there are a few vendors out there as low as $12 for a BP511 clone that reportedlyare as good as Canon's.

Everyone is different and if it gives peace of mind to have an extended warranty and you don't mind spending hard earned extra money for protection that you may possibly never need to use, go for it.

Anddon't forget to put your original bill of sale and original warranty card in a safe place (I've gone so far as to scan mine and archive them on a couple of CD-R's)

Mark.............

Mark_48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 11:07 PM   #12

I would also consider a Ritz Camera warranty. They are a bit steeper but they cover impact, sand, & water damage. Plus they are renewable. (you can buy just a one year and renew at the end of that warranty period). A relative of mine had a Pentax S5i that was fumbled out of a car window (don't ask me, I don't know!). The camera was run over in traffic and demolished. The Ritz warranty covered it and she recieved a new camera. Hard to beat that.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 6:29 PM   #13

Wow, do that one. How much is a one year warranty?
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 10:35 PM   #14

I worked at Best Buy for a few years and the PSP is good if you know how to work the system otherwise avoid it.
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 12:37 AM   #15

Since I have had a few dead and hot pixels on my camera I wish I had an extended warranty(never asked me and couldn't afford it), therefore I only have a year of working out the bugs. Pray it doesn't get messed after that.

I bought the extended warranty for my laptop because I plan on running it for at least three years and will not have to worry about the battery going dead.

pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 3:54 AM   #16

I almost always avoid those extended-warranty type plans except as noted by Mayhem above, the Ritz camera plan is very good. I bought it for my Nixvue digital wallet because it covers impact and the Nixvue has a hard-drive in it.

I usually discover defects in the first 30 days of owning tech stuff and it's easy to address problemsthat soon after purchase. I don't think I have ever suddenly discovered "defective materials or workmanship" a year after purchasing.

OTOH, impact, sand and water can happen to perfectly good equipment long after purchase.

If you plan on getting your money back in batteries or whatever, it's probably worth it for you. I just don't think the typical service and repair plan with a lot of disclaimers is a wise investment.

David
Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 1:53 PM   #17

I second the Ritz camera service plan. It covers drops and accidents, and wasn't out of line pricewise with the other service plans. I got it for my last one after my 5yo son dropped and broke my point and shoot.
hsuthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 4:11 PM   #18

BDOuk- actually, they raised the prices on the service plans. The $99.99 dSLR plan costs employees about $80.00 now. I am really dissappointed that they did, but meh, I could quit if I wanted to.
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote