Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 26, 2005, 1:27 AM   #1

I just purchased the Canon 20D with the Canon EF-S 17-85mm F4-5.6 IS USM lens and the Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO Macro Super II lens (due to price and size/weight for travel). I am now saving some money for a fast/bright telephoto zoom lens for fast moving outdoor action (sports).

Would I absolutely need an F2.8 lens or could I settle for a F4.0 lens?

Due to a limited budget, I'm looking at the following possibilities (within my budget):

Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX APO HSM ($1320 Cdn)
Canon EF 70-200mm F4.0L USM ($900 Cdn)
Sigma 100-300mm F4.0 EX HSM ($1150 Cdn)

Which would you choose? Why?

agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2005, 2:49 AM   #2

I would test out the 17-85mm lens outdoors first before you make any purchase. I don't like this f4-5.6 crap, myself. I just got my camera, and I am trying to take indoor shots. Without a flash it is almost impossible, even at ISO3200. With the flash it is better, but I have to bump up the flash b/c it is too weak at the default setting. But if you are outdoors I don't think you will have a problem. There is a picture on the review of this camera (Steves-digicams) of an indoorvolleyball game at ISO 800 f4.5 and 1/250sec, and it is perfect. So even if you are indoors you still can use yourequipment.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 2:50 AM   #3

For outdoor sports I would choose the Canon 70-200 F4.0L. It's a great lens (looking at buying one myself), and all tests indicate it is optically equal to the Canon 70-200 f2.8L. Check here to get an idea of this lens's performance http://www.photozone.de

By the way, you can save about $130 to $150Canadian if you buy the Canon lens from B&H Photo instead of from a Canadian camera store ... and even a bit more if you are outside of Alberta and have to pay PST.

You can get the lens from B&H for a total delivered price (including shipping and GST) of about $810 to $833 versus buying from a local store for $899 which brings the cost up to $962 after GST. There is no duty for importing a lens from the US into Canada.

Also, you can also get the Sigma 70-200 for a total delivered price of about $1100 Cdn (including GST but excluding PST) from B&H. The price you show for the 100-300 looks excellent since the lowest Canadian retailer I've found has it at $1500 ($1605 after GST). The delivered price from B&H including GST would be somewhere around $1270, so it looks like you've found a good deal somewhere.

Don't trust my math and work it out for yourself. I was really surprised how much extra we seem to pay for high-end lenses in Canada than south of the border. For example, I bought a 24-70 2.8L from B&H in January and saved about $650. Since that time the Canadian dealers dropped their prices a lot ... but I would still save about $230 if I bought it today from the US.

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 8:42 AM   #4

Any of those lenses are gonna work fine with your 20D (For outdoor shots), as Bob A pointed out, the price you could get the Sigma 100-300 is a great bargain, this lens must be one of the besttele zoom ever made, but it's too long and bulky (at least too long to me taste)....but if you dont care it, I strongly recommend you go for it.

The Canon 70-200 4L is also an excellent lens, but it's only200mmand even though you can add the TC 1.4X,itloses one stop.

fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 8:52 AM   #5

Nancy Gabby wrote:
Quote:
I would test out the 17-85mm lens outdoors first before you make any purchase. I don't like this f4-5.6 crap, myself. I just got my camera, and I am trying to take indoor shots. Without a flash it is almost impossible, even at ISO3200. With the flash it is better, but I have to bump up the flash b/c it is too weak at the default setting. But if you are outdoors I don't think you will have a problem. There is a picture on the review of this camera (Steves-digicams) of an indoorvolleyball game at ISO 800 f4.5 and 1/250sec, and it is perfect. So even if you are indoors you still can use yourequipment.
Unfortunately the 17-85IS is a mediocre lens, you need to stop down around f8.0 or further to get sharp shots (I guess even the Sigma 18-125 is sharper from corner to corner at different fstops throughout the zoom range).....I would suggest going for the Tamron 28-75 2.8 DI, a faster and too much sharper lens....but It seems quite a bit late.......you should have checked fredmiranda's site, before making your buying decision.

Old Mar 26, 2005, 9:42 AM   #6

fz10 I would like to politely take exception to your statement on the 17x85 Canon lense. Many people in this forum and elsewhere are taking great shtots with this lense and really like it. It is deffinatly a better [sharper] than the 18x125.
I hope you haven't had bad luck with the 17x85. Although mine is not a trained eye, I can see no difference between shots taken with this lense and those of the L lense in this catagory.
I'm not tryng to flame you on this issue, but perhaps we could encourage aigicco to checks some others posts in this forum about it.
Best wishes
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 10:10 AM   #7

Golfer wrote:
Quote:
fz10 I would like to politely take exception to your statement on the 17x85 Canon lense. Many people in this forum and elsewhere are taking great shtots with this lense and really like it. It is deffinatly a better [sharper] than the 18x125.
I hope you haven't had bad luck with the 17x85. Although mine is not a trained eye, I can see no difference between shots taken with this lense and those of the L lense in this catagory.
I'm not tryng to flame you on this issue, but perhaps we could encourage aigicco to checks some others posts in this forum about it.
Best wishes
Nop............I encourage you to check the link below out and see by yourself what Im talking about:

http://pcwin166.win.tue.nl/~debra/photos/newtest/

Believe me, I really wanted that the performance of this lens would have being great, but unfortunately this lens fails in many aspects.....like soft edges, lack of contrast (in comparison with other lenses within the same category) and above average chromatic aberrations.....postive things are the IS and the focal lenght....

A couple of users on the Dpreview forum also have tested the 17-85 vs 28-135 and the clear winner was the 28-135 (If found this link I'll share it with you)

P.D. L lenses arefarbetter than the 17-85 IS (be a bit objective)
Old Mar 26, 2005, 10:59 AM   #8

fz10,do you own either of these lens and what camera are you using?
RedHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 1:51 PM   #9
Super Moderator

fz10,

Have you taken the MTF challenge? :-)

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...62&forum_id=65
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 2:47 PM   #10

I'm afraid fz10 doesn't have a dslr so he can't really backup what he's saying
RedHouse is offline   Reply With Quote