Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 27, 2005, 7:00 PM   #1

I traded in my Rebel for the Rebel XT the other day and was testing it out and I was able to get 65 frames at 3fps in Large/Fine quality. Just to check if it was 3fps, I uploaded the pics and looked at the time stamp of them and sure enough, 3 shots per second. I did this a few times just to see if it wasn't a spoof or anything. I was using a 1GB SanDisk Ultra II. I changed the ISO and everything up to 400 to see if that would matter and it didn't. Raw burst rate was what Canon claimed 5 frames at 3fps. Does this happen with the 20D or any other models, because with the Rebel, it was just the 4 frames at 2.5fps. Anyways, I'm 100% happy with the XT, it's wonderful. Everything about it is a big improvement and I only paid $25 to upgrade from the Rebel (although that's from the kit to just the body). Props once again to Canon!
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2005, 7:30 PM   #2

Have you tried it with a slow CF card? I expect the number of shots before it slows down will decrease somewhat

My 20D also shoots far more frames at 5fps that is shown in the manual. (I have an Ultra II card too)
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 1:20 AM   #3

My XT is the same. I am using the Ultra II 1GB cards and it just goes crazy while shooting until the buffer can't dump it fast enough to the card. I got way more than claimed too. At first I didn't believe it too but the Ultra II card is definitely fast to write too! Gotta love the advances in NVRAM technology!
Wavshrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 1:35 AM   #4

Just wondering. . .how many pictures can you REALLY take in 60 seconds, at ISO 100, 500/sec, MF?
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 1:47 AM   #5

Sort of an esoteric question as I can't see when this would really be practical. What is going to stay in your field of view for 60 seconds that you would really need to take so many shots? If so, avideo camera might be more practical. I like to shoot airshows and alow level pass might net me about 3 seconds of burst mode each time before the planes have left my sight.

If I get a chance to check it, it might be interesting to see.Other independent testing at imaging resource showed they got 40+ shots in their testing under some circumstances before they max'd the buffer.
Wavshrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 8:33 AM   #6

At what store did you trade in your camera andupgrade for a XT ? I'd like to do the same.
Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 8:14 AM   #7

Wavshrdr wrote:
Quote:
Sort of an esoteric question as I can't see when this would really be practical. What is going to stay in your field of view for 60 seconds that you would really need to take so many shots?

A building implosion! haha...actually that's the only time my ex used the servo mode on her Nikon N90. Took an entire roll of 36 exposures in less than 10 seconds. But still not 60 seconds...:?
ccfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 9:13 AM   #8

True 3 fps for XT and 5 fps for 20D.... do not try to match this indoor...
Even if you go manual you can't test it right... If the compression is "successful" you might get a small size image so the camera writes on the card more images in the test time. More dark for underexposure or more white for overexposure can reduce or increase in some cases the size of the written files... so you can get even more fps or less over time...
I think that the test for 60 sec is a bit drastic on the shutter, I do not recommend it. Now comes the differences between 20D and XT... Some says that shutter life for 300D (and 350D) is about half of a 20D...

Anyway, what counts is how fast the buffer is written on the CF... I think a full buffer is emptied slower on XT... the buffer being even smaller than 20D...
pauza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 4:14 PM   #9

Big Georges...I only lost $125 all together, because I got the original Digital Rebel Kit for $525 at Sears (yes, new in box) back in September. Big Georges is awesome! They have two stores; Ann Arbor on Stadium and in West Bloomfield on Northwestern Highway. Good luck!
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 6:21 PM   #10

I can do 91 frames non stop on my 20D with L/regular ISO 100
Spec3 is offline   Reply With Quote