Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 28, 2005, 12:15 AM   #1
Super Moderator

i am looking to get metz 54MZ-4 for my canon 20d and just wanted to verify a few things.. i think that its a yes for both of them, but they use different terminology on their website and just wantedsomeone to agree with mebefore dropping 350$$..

1. it will operate as a wireless controller for another 54, canon 420, etc and will operate as a wireless slave with an st-e2..

2. it is fully ettl-ii compatable.. i heard that it has its own sensor rather than using the one in camera, is that true, and if so, is that an advantage or disadvantage..

i am also looking at a sigma 500 super, but i think i have decided on the metz since it has dual bulbs for bounce and direct lighting, plus imo you can't go wrong with metz for features and adaptability..

let me know what you guys think,

dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2005, 12:09 PM   #2
NHL

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
1. it will operate as a wireless controller for another 54, canon 420, etc and will operate as a wireless slave with an st-e2..
I may be wrong here, but IMO it's not compatible with the Canon 420, ST-E2, etc... The Metz uses RF, whereas the Canon uses IR/flash pulses - The Sigma EF-500DG Super is truly compatible in the wireless mode though (both as Master or Slaves)

Quote:
2. it is fully ettl-ii compatable.. i heard that it has its own sensor rather than using the one in camera, is that true, and if so, is that an advantage or disadvantage..
It is ETTL compatible (the camera makes it I/II and not the flash), but it also factors in the flash own sensor reading. Let me see if I can find the link...

Here it is: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...c.php?id=36142
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 1:28 PM   #3
Super Moderator

that makes sense that it is not wireless compatable now that i think about it.. being a modular system i doubt they could make the wireless capable with all systems.. the local pro store also seemed to think that it wouldnt be wireless capable as well..

that kind of makes my decision less clear cut.. i really want to be wireless capable for the future.. so i think that the sigma 500 super may have just catapulted into the lead here.. i like the looks of canon's 580ex as well, but i can't justify the cost difference, when i could have 2 supers for the same price..

hmm .. hmm.. hmm... i think i will just save myself some money and get the sigma..

thanks nhl, always can count on yer advice,

dustin
Old Mar 28, 2005, 3:40 PM   #4
NHL

The Metz is a superior flash IMO - regardless of brand...

You can still do wireless TTL among the Metz (and forget about Canon/Sigma combination) in fact it's camera brand independent - They cost more, but you are getting two heads instead of one however (ie if you buy 2 -> you get 4 heads)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 1:02 AM   #5

How does the Metz flash compare to Canon's 580? I am in the market for a flash, and I don't mind spending the money on the Canon if it is better...
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 8:57 AM   #6
Super Moderator

ahh.. so it supports wireless within the metz series... that is interesting.. do you know if they also make a wireless transmitter comparable to the ST-E2 from canon.. i would not have any problem just sticking with metz, as its is also my opininon that they are superior to about anything else out there..

:idea: