Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 29, 2005, 11:37 PM   #1

I just bought the Eos 20D and I'm new to digital photography. I was looking for a good book to help me with adjusting from film to digital. I know alot of book deal with photoshop, etc. and composition. However, I've been using Photoshop for years and I'm know how to compose a shot, so alot of the books are boring and useless for me. I want to know what I need to do differently when taking photos with my Digital SLR rather than my 35mm. I looked that the Magic Lantern Book for the EOS 20D, but it is a glorified re-write of the Canon owener's manuel.

Where is a good place to learn about the ends and outs of my 20d without useless information about Photoshop and composition.

<><
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2005, 6:25 PM   #2

matthew2000tx wrote:
Quote:
I just bought the Eos 20D and I'm new to digital photography. I was looking for a good book to help me with adjusting from film to digital. I know alot of book deal with photoshop, etc. and composition. However, I've been using Photoshop for years and I'm know how to compose a shot, so alot of the books are boring and useless for me. I want to know what I need to do differently when taking photos with my Digital SLR rather than my 35mm. I looked that the Magic Lantern Book for the EOS 20D, but it is a glorified re-write of the Canon owener's manuel.

Where is a good place to learn about the ends and outs of my 20d without useless information about Photoshop and composition.

<><
Sad to say, I don't yet have my 20D, but I'm counting the pennies and the days. Until the actual event, I've been studying the Shortcourse book on the 20D, and it seems to be quite thorough. My brother uses the Rebel, and he says he's learned more from the Shortcourse than from the owner's manual. Good enough for me.

Here's the link to the site: ]http://www.shortcourses.com/bookstore/canon/book_canon20D.htm][/url]

Hope this helps.:|

StarrToDowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 8:52 PM   #3

To my mind, there is very little difference.

Last I knew, the Magic Lantern books were a bit more than a rewrite, with more details and facts proved out with testing and not just spouting the Canon stats. This might not be true any more (or maybe I had the wrong opinion of them?)

As to what is different... very little, in my opinion.
Depending on what film you prefer, the quality will either compair fairly well (Provia or Velvia) or digital will be much better (almost anything else.) Either way, a digital at ISO400 will be better than ISO400 film. You shouldn't be afraid to use ISO400 (it isn't "great" but it is "good", which can't be said for color film slide.)

The biggest difference is lack of dynamic range & how it plays out. There is a fair amount of detail in the darks of the 20D. But the whites blow out much quicker than with film. So while the best results can be achieved by putting the whites on the sharp edge of over-exposed, it is very unforgiving... so it can be better to under expose a touch to make sure you get everything (unless you're good enough to have faith you have nailed the exposure.)

The contrast range seems a little smaller than I'd like, but stretching that in PS is easy, so I'm not sure that is a problem per say. But it doesn't help that I'm shooting with a 600mm through a fair amount of air some times.

I can't really think of anything beyond that.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 1:32 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Do have a look at http://www.luminous-landscape.com

There's loads of very good stuff for people switching from film to digital amongst literally hundreds of essays, tutorials, etc.

Here's an interesting one to get you started about how to expose for digital.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...se-right.shtml

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote