Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 1, 2005, 1:35 PM   #11

Well A monopod would make a IS lens better if you were panning a shot. EX:following a moving object, as long as it is has the panning mode IS. (IS setting 2(i think)). Other wise it is recommeded that IS is turned off while using a tripod or monopod. If the IS is on the sesnor for this IS might track a moving object in the frame and start to shake the image. That is not good. So IS acts as a virtual monopod.

As for what you should carry your stuff in. I need to know what stuff you have and how much before i can make a recommendation. I recently traveled to New York, NY for the first time. I didn't take my SLR system because I thought that it might get stolen. I felt sad when I got there almost every one had a nice SLR in the tourist areas. I wish I had mine, but I didn't. Yes there is a chance that your camera my disappear, but not likely. A backpack sounds good the only thing is that they are expensive and don't carry much. Also you are now wider from front to back. So you might knock over a few things in a small area. I prefer a normal camera bag over my shoulder, however if you are worried about you camera gear getting stolen then I recommend the backpack, and use luggage locks.

Some people from my church went to China and the pickpocket cut their backback open while they were in line at a border crossing. So in this situation the should bag would be better because you can keep your eye on it more. But a should bag could get snatched off your shoulder faster becuase you only have one strap. However I have found that if you put the strap of the bag across you chest and around you neck then it is safer.

Personally I would have a shoulder bag, it's easier to get to your gear. You can keep and eye on it, put you hand over it if you feel worried about it. I recommend one that has both a zipper and a latch setup because it is harder to pickpocket, and it keep dust out more.

To get equipment out of you backpack you have to take it off, and while it is on you can't keep your eyes on it. I would carry a backpack, but just a normal one for water, sunscreen, food, tickets,etc, (the stuff you don't want near your camera)
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 1:35 PM   #12

Well A monopod would make a IS lens better if you were panning a shot. EX:following a moving object, as long as it is has the panning mode IS. (IS setting 2(i think)). Other wise it is recommeded that IS is turned off while using a tripod or monopod. If the IS is on the sesnor for this IS might track a moving object in the frame and start to shake the image. That is not good. So IS acts as a virtual monopod.

As for what you should carry your stuff in. I need to know what stuff you have and how much before i can make a recommendation. I recently traveled to New York, NY for the first time. I didn't take my SLR system because I thought that it might get stolen. I felt sad when I got there almost every one had a nice SLR in the tourist areas. I wish I had mine, but I didn't. Yes there is a chance that your camera my disappear, but not likely. A backpack sounds good the only thing is that they are expensive and don't carry much. Also you are now wider from front to back. So you might knock over a few things in a small area. I prefer a normal camera bag over my shoulder, however if you are worried about you camera gear getting stolen then I recommend the backpack, and use luggage locks.

Some people from my church went to China and the pickpocket cut their backback open while they were in line at a border crossing. So in this situation the should bag would be better because you can keep your eye on it more. But a should bag could get snatched off your shoulder faster becuase you only have one strap. However I have found that if you put the strap of the bag across you chest and around you neck then it is safer.

Personally I would have a shoulder bag, it's easier to get to your gear. You can keep and eye on it, put you hand over it if you feel worried about it. I recommend one that has both a zipper and a latch setup because it is harder to pickpocket, and it keep dust out more.

To get equipment out of you backpack you have to take it off, and while it is on you can't keep your eyes on it. I would carry a backpack, but just a normal one for water, sunscreen, food, tickets,etc, (the stuff you don't want near your camera)
Old Apr 1, 2005, 2:15 PM   #13

next time in my hood (NYC) give me a buzz.

the shoulder bag does seem to make more sense.

and i also think i will need to go to a camera store and try mono vs. tri vs tri as mono.

thanks,

what was your favorite part of nyc? did you go down to the pit (WTC)
DBerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 11:06 AM   #14

Cool, well then you know what I'm talking about when I was talking about NYC. I meet a man on the Subway with a Digital SLR and his wife. He said he takes his camera with thim everywhere. I bet there is a lot more things to photograph in NYC than in my little West Texas Town.

Let me know what you end up doing. I'm not sure that we came name camera stores on the forums. But which Camera store do you like to go to in NYC. I like the one that starts with a B and ends with an H. :-)I order all my equipment form them.
Old Apr 2, 2005, 11:44 AM   #15

That is where I have been told to go (B&H). Although Dell seems to have some great deals for the 20D - I want to see if I can get it without the kit lens and then you have the 10% discount.... They have the Sandisk 2gig Ultra II on sale for $149 - the lowest I have found to date - and that card did very well on the testing done by Rob Galbraith - so I might just order that today and start the process.

I had several patients and friends that went down with the tower - my daughter was down there when it happened - her friend also at NYU walked out of the dorm, saw the second plane hit and the people jumping and has not yet returned to school! I still have extreme rage within - glad to see we are kicking some serious butt - a lot more of them to go but far fewer than there were 9/10/01 :G

I will keep you informed as to the path I will take.

Thank you again for your time -

David
DBerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 7:06 PM   #16
mkh

Tamrac makes a series of sling packs called Velocity. They come in several sizees and may be just the thing for you. You wear it on your back like a backpack but it can be swung around to the side or front to unload things or when you feel that better security is needed. YOu can alsoswing it around toyour side and use it as support when taking photos.
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote