Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 1, 2005, 7:22 AM   #1

I am about to purchase the 20D (moving up to dSLR from my Nikon CoolPix 5700 and yearning for that long lost relationship I had with my Olympus OM-1) and am fortunate enough to be inheriting from my dad three Canon EF lenses he had used with his Canon A2 (?):

1. 50mm f/1.4

2. 28-105 f4.0-5.6 USM

3. 70-300 f/4.0-5.6 USM

My wife and I are traveling to Italy this July for our 25th wedding anniversary. We like to travel "lite" during the day. The question is whether I should get a tripod or monopod to bring with us? And if you can offer up the model of either one you suggest.

On a sidebar: I was thinking of getting a camera backpack and peeling off the name label. Whatwould beyour favorite mode of camera transportation inthe above situation - also with specific recommendations as to model.

I also would like to say that monitoring this BB has been EXTREMELY useful for me. I appreciate all the knowledge you guys bring to the table - it has helped me tremendously.

Thank you in advance for your help,

David
DBerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2005, 8:17 AM   #2

I have a Cullmann Tripod (50010 Presto). It's a german company (www.cullmann-foto.de).

I'm very pleased with this one. It's only 16cm folded and unfolded it's up to 65cm. And it weights about 409g. It's very useful and you can slip it in almost every pocket or bag.

But it depends on the usage of it. If you want to have something where the camera is about as high as your head, you have to go for something bigger (and heavier).
Iceseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 8:44 AM   #3

For tripods I use the old reliable Manfrotto 055c with a ball head, and carry strap.

For monopod I use the Manfrotto 681 with the 234rc head.

They are not the new carbon fiber so weigh more, but cost a lot less. Using a monopod successfully takes a bit of practice, but they are a lot easier to cart around and can be taken places that forbid tripods.

The bags are another issue, the labels are usually not easy to remove. When needed I've duct-taped over my name-brand bags to make them look in bad shape. One suggestion I've seen that seems to work is to use a normal backpack and put the smaller camera bag inside it.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 9:19 AM   #4

Hey, You could take a Tripod, and use it at a monopod if you need to. Just put one leg down not all three.

But if you own a monopod and you aren't plannning on doing exposures longer that 1/60 then I say take the monopod. You seem to be worried about having a back pack camera case, I suppose it might be cause it might get stolen. Well with a monopod you have a weapon. A nice metal pipe in the right place will usually get rid of any one messing with you, if not hit harders! Just joking around.

Do you have anIS lense. I've been about to hand hold 1/20 shutterspeeds with my 28-135 IS.

Where are you traveling to?

matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 10:04 AM   #5

Italy for two weeks - Venice, Florance, Rome and Capri

Interesting idea about the tripod using it as a monopod - which one do you recomment.

Also good idea about the self-defense concept. I always carry with me my study of Krav Maga which is an Israeli martial art designed for hand-to-hand combat (and small weapons like knives, guns and other potential objects). Its a good workout at least - and hopefully will never come into use.

Thanks for your ideas, and continued input.

David
Old Apr 1, 2005, 10:36 AM   #6

David I say that you should try using the Tripod as a mono pod and see how you like it. If you don't like it then you are back to the question of which to take Mono or Tri.

Have you though about the extra weight of carrying the tripod around?? Doyou plan on getting night shots of famous buildings and locations??? (then Tripod)

Will the tripod fit in your bag as nicely as a monopod?

Just think about it. You'll have to make the decision.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 10:37 AM   #7

David. I fogot to say. I too started with the OM-1 and I still have it and all the lenses.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 10:49 AM   #8

I have the distinct advantage of having no equipment at this time - starting from scratch. I was thinking that a camera/backpack would be the best way to travel with my stuff. And yes, weight is important - I don't want to lug around 10lbs of camera stuff all day.

I will try the tripod as a monopod but I think there must be a significant weight difference between the two. And wouldn't a monopod be nearly as good as a tripod for evening shots - my hands are pretty steady still.

Thanks again for your input.

David
Old Apr 1, 2005, 11:56 AM   #9

Yeah A mono Pod would be just about as good. But is you want to be sure that you are going to get crisp shots then you might go with a tripod. But if you are going to be moving around alot while shooting a monopod would be easier.

What equipment do you have. I have both a Tripod and A Monopod. I use my mono more than the tri b/c I have a 300mm lens and need a little extra support.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The only draw back to a monopod for slow shutter speeds less than 1/30. But if you get a IS lens then you will not need to Monopod. I recommend an IS lens and a tripod. Use the IS when you would normally use a Monopod. And use a Tripod when you normally would use a Tripod. I bet you will want to do some lowlight photos when you get to Italy, so a Tri would be nice to have.

I hope this helps

Old Apr 1, 2005, 12:48 PM   #10

I am hoping not to have to spend the $ to buy new lenses and just use the three my father is giving me. Why wouldn't an IS lense make a monopod more effective :?.

What do you recommend to carry my stuff in?

Thanks again for your insight.

David