Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 3, 2005, 4:18 PM   #1

I recently purchased Canon's newest Flash, but the instruction manual has disappeared and I am going to LONDON. Canon support saysinstructions cannot be downloaded. GREAT HELP! Nor will they help in any other way that would provide me instuctions prior to my departure. Thank you Canon.

Is there anyone out there that is familiar with this new "top of the line" flash that could give me some basics as to the functions of the many buttons on the back or even how to set it for the basics?I am using a Canon EOS 1Ds and a 20 D. [email protected]
creativeexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2005, 10:22 PM   #2

I am quite sure that you can download the manual from:
www.canoneos.com.

Just poke around, all the manuals are there.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 10:58 PM   #3

Thank you for the well intentioned reply, but i checked there first. Then customer service verified that it is not downloadable and I would have to purchase a copy from sales. BUT, that would not get here in time before a trip to London. THAT was why I was seeking info on the functions. [email protected]
creativeexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 2:09 AM   #4

I have the 580 and 20D, so I cannot talk to the 1D, but I do not think it should differ significantly.

Essentially you should be able to use the 580 with no instructions and no use of buttons...at least for standard operation...it is pretty intuitive.

If you need greater than x-sync flash, push the "downflash"H button until it shows in the flash LCD. Actually you can set it there for all modes, the EOS cameras will use x-sync at or below the top speed for it and high speed flash above it.

If you are shooting below 24mm (35mm equiv.), pull out the diffuser in front/top of flash, this will give you down to 14mm (33mm eq). I use a Stofen Omnibounce and find it better...you should be able to find quickly/cheaply.

The 580 will automatically set the flash zoom from 24 to 105mm based on the lens zoom....EXCEPT....there is a problem with the 20D 1.6 crop calc. at WA...below 22mm (actual). This is only a problem when shooting direct (no up/down angle to flash. You can either use an Omnibounce at WA or set the custom function 11 to '1'. to do this...hold down 'C.fn' button until 'C.fn' shows in LCD....rotate wheel until 'F11' shows in LCD....hit button in middle of wheel...F'11-0' blinks...rotate from '0' to '1'...hit wheel button...stops blinking...hit mode to return..."C.fn' will continue to show in LCD to let you know you have modified defaults.

For other functions, play around or wait until you can RTFM..:-)

jrsforums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 3:16 AM   #5

Unfortunately, Steve's digicams doesn't have a full review of the flash, but check out this page: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...s/20d_pg2.html, on this page there is a link to a quick review of the flash.

When I rented the Fuji S1, it didn't come with instructions, and I had never used a dslr before. I went to steve's review of the camera, and it was so indepth that it taught me how to use the camera, and the pics came out great. So, maybe you can do an google search for reviews of the flash, read them and I am sure you can get to know some features of the flash. Good luck and sorry that you had so much trouble dealing with Canon, I hate it when companies don't help you out. They should have offered to fax you the info, or overnight it, or something. Shame on you, Canon!!!!!!!
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 3:00 PM   #6

Hot damn. You're right, it isn't there. That'll teach me. I've downloaded multiple camera manuals from there (and I think some lens info as well.) So I just assumed that the flash manual would be there too.

Too many people post questions here without looking around much, so you grow used to such behaviour. My fault.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 12:38 PM   #7

I looked on canon website for 580 ex manual, and it is not there. No, you can't download it.

phcarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:10 PM   #8

Quote:
So, maybe you can do an google search for reviews of the flash, read them and I am sure you can get to know some features of the flash. Good luck and sorry that you had so much trouble dealing with Canon, I hate it when companies don't help you out. They should have offered to fax you the info, or overnight it, or something.
This may help a little:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...sh-Review.aspx

What's up with Canon???

I thought Sony was a pain in the.... Neck

dale
thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote