Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 3, 2005, 6:05 PM   #1

i have a canon 20d and am in serious need of a 500mm zoom. the only thing i can find in my price range is the sigma 170 to 500 f5 6.3 zoom. there are some good deals on ebay but they are a few years old. the make and model seem the same as the current style. some people have told me that the 20d may not be compatableand others say no problem. i do know that pasta certain number of year old, you have to have the lens rechiped. can anyone help me out. i really need to get the ball rolling. i would love to save some money by buying off ebay. the lenses im looking at are about four years old.

thanks much

shaye:blah:
marconitoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2005, 9:59 PM   #2

as long as they fit onto the canon EF mount, absolutly no problem at all, just ask the seller first if there is an fungus growing inside, any scratches ect.

i will be using ebay to get my future lens. a place called digitalrev on ebay is good for new ones.
twofruitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 10:20 PM   #3

You are safe with any current Sigma zoom on today's Canon bodies. Go further back than that or buy banking on future compatibility and you are on your own. If you buy a used Sigma lens that's been out of production very long ( probably 1+ years or more) and doesn't work, chances are Sigma will not re-chip it for you.

There is a track record out there regarding Sigma lenses and EOS body compatibility no matter how the biggest Sigma fan on this or any other site touts Sigma optics....period, and until Sigma can prove over a period of time that they can actually create technology that mates with Canon bodies consistently over more than 1-2 generations of bodies, potential users will have to keep asking this question.

eBay on the other hand is always a crap shoot, sometimes even if you do your homework. There's a reason they used to always post the term "caviat emptor" on the bottom of each page. Buyer Beware.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 10:20 PM   #4

The only problem is the one you metioned. And even a lens that is 4 years old could have the problem.

Sigma never licensed the lens mount from Canon (no one has, Canon doesn't license it like Nikon does.) This means that Sigma had to reverse-engineer the EOS lens mount. It works, but when a new camera body come out some Sigma lenses don't work. The solution is to send the lens back to Sigma and they will "re-chip" then lens (replace a microchip in the lens. That deals with lens-camera communication, I believe.) For a period of time after the new camera is released, Sigma does it for free (about a year.) After that you have to pay for them to do it.

twofroitz is also right, though. Worry about fungus, big scratches, as well.

Have you considered the Sigma 50-500? Its a great lens for the price. Optically quite good.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 11:46 PM   #5
NHL

marconitoobs wrote:
Quote:
i have a canon 20d and am in serious need of a 500mm zoom. the only thing i can find in my price range is the sigma 170 to 500 f5 6.3 zoom. there are some good deals on ebay but they are a few years old. the make and model seem the same as the current style. some people have told me that the 20d may not be compatable and others say no problem. i do know that past a certain number of year old, you have to have the lens rechiped. can anyone help me out. i really need to get the ball rolling. i would love to save some money by buying off ebay. the lenses im looking at are about four years old.

thanks much

shaye:blah:
If this lens is made after the year 2000 then it will work fine - just call Sigma... problems occured only on some older non-EX series lenses made before this date...

If you want to be safe stay within the EX family - this is their professional line and none of the Sigma EX have had any compatibility problem regardless of manufacturing date - the 50-500 EX is also one of them
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote