Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 3, 2005, 11:44 PM   #1

I have heard that the Metz is the best flash, I would like to know if there is any benefit of getting one over the other. And is the recycle time faster with either? Also, the camera is going to feed the exposure info thru the ttl (assuming it is set that way-which I plan on doing), so, in theory the exposure should come out the same if you compare both flashes. I am just looking for a way to set the camera to ttl and shoot away without worrying too much. I do know if I am shooting a black surface, or white surface I have to compensate, but I plan on doing some wedding work, and I just want to get as close to perfect with exposure as possible, just wondering which flash would achieve this. I really appreciate all of your help with all of my other topics, and I do apologize for not being technologically savvy like you guys.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2005, 11:32 AM   #2
NHL

The one which is best is the one that works for you... (we've already known about the wireless difference) :blah:

The Metz does have an advantage in that one head can provide the main fill while the other can be bounced in all kind of direction (with one head it's less flexible) to get an even lightning... also if you decide to switch to Nikon (or use your old Medium format), the Metz can easily adapt - You're married to Canon otherwise

If you do wedding then you'll probably be on HV packs - so recycling time won't be an issue with either unless you 'cook' the heads too fast!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 12:12 PM   #3
NHL

BTW the Metz can also be set to it's own automatic mode (ie non-TTL) which actually works quite good @ weddings since it uses its own sensor in front of the flash and measure the average scene ignoring the white dress / black tuxedo issue with TTL... :?
(the Metz wireless remotes also remain functional in this mode...)
Old Apr 4, 2005, 2:12 PM   #4
Super Moderator

as nhl linked earlier, i was having a similar dilemma concerning a flash for my 20d.. i had narrowed down to the sigma 500 super and metz mz-4... i deliberated on this long and hard.. i finally decided on saving a little money and went with sigma.. with the extra $$ i saved, i am puttin that towards a wide angle lens.. (still deliberating on which one).. in doing so i gave up the ability to do fill and bounce simultaneously.. but for the price of one metz, one could get 2 sigmas to do the job.. also, with the sigma you will have TTL only..

"hopefully my thought process helps you decide and doesnt add to the confusion :?

good luck and enjoy, dustin

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 3:54 PM   #5
NHL

You gals/guys should check into one of this used (less than $200) from the $$$ saved: http://www.photographyreview.com/PRD_83982_3121crx.aspx

I have a 45CT-5 - works only in Auto, but check the reviews: 5 of 5 rating!
No one has ever complained about a Metz yet

... You can combine the Metz through a sync cord and a Canon/Sigma through the hotshoe and have two options on location:
1. E-TTL by turning on the top unit / Metz off
2. Auto mode by turning on the Metz / Canon(Sigma) off
Old Apr 5, 2005, 1:11 AM   #6

Thank you all for your input, but I did notice one thing, nobody reallymentioned the Canon flash, so does that mean it isn't worth it? One other question about the Metz, does it have eTTL-2?
Old Apr 5, 2005, 1:22 AM   #7

I covered my cousin wedding with my DRebel and a Canon 550EX and had no problems with white dresses next to black tuxes, becuase I went to the rehearsal and got my test shots in to get my setting down for each of the locations of the shots.
Attached Images

VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 1:44 AM   #8

Here is another, just a note at weddings I noticed that repeatedly taken pictures of the same subject without a bounce flash can result in flash blind people for while :G but at the church there wasnt much choise
Attached Images

VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 8:20 AM   #9
NHL

Nancy Gabby wrote:
Quote:
Thank you all for your input, but I did notice one thing, nobody really mentioned the Canon flash, so does that mean it isn't worth it? One other question about the Metz, does it have eTTL-2?
They all have E-TTL: the eTTL-1/eTTL-2 comes from the camera algorithm not the flash - ie put a 550EX on a 10D/300D it's eTTL-1, but when used with a 20D/XT it's eTTL-2
Old Apr 5, 2005, 12:04 PM   #10

And what about the Canon 580EX?